Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starker/Grodner Method

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Dr Rod, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Has anyone seen the Murray Grodner (former IU prof) adaptation of the Janos Starker (International cello soloist) left hand method?

comments ?

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Seen it. Have it. Use it with students. It's most useful for me to as set of "calisthenics" to do every day.
    It's dry stuff, purely physical exercise, but I think that's the idea.

3. Dr Rod,
    If you can find a copy of his bowings, scales and arpeggio exercises they will be very helpful to you in addition to his published book. His I U students recieved them as handouts many years ago.

4. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Thanks Bruce

Are these scales and arpeggios published or black market ?

Are they good for people at professional level ?

Do you have any thoughts on the Starker exercises as well ?

5. Rod,
    These were copies of handwritten scales with fingerings, all the major and minor scales, one, two and three octaves. There were rythmic variations and extensive bowing patterns (four pages) to use with the scales. The closest thing I've seen since then is the Rabbath Book Three; in fact, he might be even more comprehensive.
    They weren't published as far as I know but couldn't be considered black market as they were just handouts for his bass students.
    They would be good for any proffessional to use to polish their technique or expose some area that maybe had been neglected.
    I am not familiar with the Starker approach so wouldn't have a valid comment.