Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starter Rack Equipment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spazmed, Jul 30, 2004.

1. spazmed

spazmed

Jul 17, 2003
    As a good start what does everybody tend to lean towards for rack equipment? If you are starting with a combo amp what should be the first Rack purchase? Then what? All around what is the best multi FX for the price?

2. spazmed

spazmed

Jul 17, 2003
    :help:

3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    As for the first rack item to get after a combo, I would say a poweramp.

Why? Because with a combo, you at least have a "preamp" so to speak (if your combo has a preamp out). That way, if you have an extra cab lying around, you can use that cab with the wattage it needs (instead of feeding off the combo poweramp, if it has a poweramp out, that is).

If your combo is more of a practice combo and has no preamp outs or poweramp ins, AND the combo has a sufficient enough speaker and power (volume, i mean) for you, AND you just basically don't like the tone, then maybe a preamp plugged into your input might be the way to go.

But chances are, if the tone has not that many flexibilities enough to want a preamp, then the speaker and power of it probably isn't great to stick with either.

Just my thoughts...

-T

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    by combo amp do you mean a "head" (preamp + amp) in one unit???

I don't use lots of bells and whistles I've like SKB roto racks:
    [​IMG]

I like VERY MUCH and recommend TECH21 sansamps (RPM shown) WITH overdrive options...

[​IMG]

OR RBI model for more "hifi" clearer sound.

and Stewart poweramps I use the 1.2 (1200w into 4ohms)

[​IMG]

If I got any other "rack components" it might be a compressor, not sure which one.

5. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm...that Sansamp looks taisty...

What is the difference (in tone and function) between the RPM and the RBI? Can they replace one another? Which is "better" (if you have an opinion that puts one over the other)?

-T

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Do you own one of these? If so, what do you think of it?

7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Just picked up my new Ampeg SVT410HLF two days ago. Love it! You have more amp than I do but the HLF has awesome punch and depth in a small package. So low in fact that my flatwounds muddy out a bit on E string with E down through A. With my rounds, it was low, punchy and fantastic. 500w RMS. Just a thought....$699.00.

8. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lockout: I own lots of those shallow x-rack cases. I think they are pretty cool, especially if you want something that can be easily carried with one hand and if you have stuff that sits really shallow in deep cases anyway. Very light and handy. And easily sits on top of the bigger amp rack! The cons are that if anything is put on the bottom or top rack and goes the depth of the shallow rack (10" I believe), it's impossible to plug stuff in because of the way the back-cover fits into the backwall. Hard to explain, but you'll see. Anyway, it's easy to get over it, mostly putting that kind of stuff in the middle of the rack, or lots of people modify it like cut out sections for their wires. Not too big a deal. And finding them used makes them really CHEAP! I might even be selling my 4 space shallow skb... :)

Basspolizei: If you were suggesting that cab to me, thanks very much! I've had my eye on that cab for a while now (ever since I started my first rig w/ my B5R!) but is a bit too expensive for me at this time. And heavy too! But you are right, it does sound really good. Most likely much better than my former Avatar B410, but then again, it was less than half the cost of that Ampeg. Darn.

I might be looking into some Mesa Boogie Diesel cabs...what the?! I went in the TOTAL opposite direction from my "lighter cabs" quest. OH well. That's the way the GAS bounces...(?)

Sorry for the thread hijack. This topic has officially been put on track again.

-T

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Yes I own two of the 4space "roto" racks not the x-rack, I use to, but my equip is deeper now, the roto is about 15.5" deep. they can be a little bulky with the covers on, but everything is well protected. with my old xrack 3space I accidentally left it behind my car after taking it out of my trunk, got in my car, knocked it over and dragged it 5 feet down the driveway!!! I had to jack the car to get the case out!!! case was scratched up, but useable. I eventually sold it on ebay!! ;)

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I was hoping that the RPM would be basically an RBI with a mid sweep control and NO "presence" control. but, its actually a little grittyer, I think, compared to the RBI. The RBI is more clear and less "grit", if I'm using the word right. RPM is darker, the gain is much more extreme, if you crank all the way and plug in a 6string regular guitar my friend "fishbulb" says its like a "brit" amp sound.

so if you like to play really clean and hear alot of mids and highs come out of your guitar you might consider the RBI. if you need greater mids control and prefer a darker, slightly grittier sound and an intense overdrive for bass or guitar check out the RPM. I'm leaning towards the RPM for the mids control because my pbass is dark and I use aguilar 112 that, to me, are a little fussy at getting a good cut through mid frequency.

also the RPM is made for acoustic guitars too!! although I haven't heard how that sounds...

bottom line: if they came out with an RBI with mid sweep that would have been the Ideal for me. I do miss some of the clarity of the RBI, but that is now on my practice rig at home.

11. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    THanks!

I've agreed to buy a TBer's Sansamp BDDI and will see how that works out for me. I'm attempting to use it as a stand alone preamp straight into my spare QSC RMX 850 and will use as a backup rig. (Some say the "preamp" gain is not enough, while others say the 1/4" plug output is enough? Weird...anyone know the true answer to this?)

If the BDDI just isn't "doin' it for me" (as Lonestar says, haha), then I will deeply consider that RPM or RBI. But that info on the RPM and RBI really helped. Thanks very much. Maybe the RPM will come in handy as a "swiss army preamp" type of thing (a brit sound is pretty crunchy indeed!). But I got a question:

Are you still able to get a decent clean, RBI type sound out of it, if let's say you keep the gain down? Or is the RPM an overdriven or nothing type of preamp?

Anyway, thanks again! :hyper:

And is anyone interested in selling their RPM or RBI? :ninja: :D

-T

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    #1 the BDDI has a lower voltage output than the rack mount version (RBI). The RBI also has a dedicated "mid" control, but not sweepable like RPM. RPM and RBI also have xlr out controls separate from the level control.

#1+ xlr level control is something I will ALWAYS want for my uses, especially when our sound guy doesn't always pay attention to bass levels in the main speakers.

#2 on the RPM the frequencies that are affected by the mids and treble knobs don't hit the key frequencies that the RBI can effect. its hard to explain, but at "zero" on RPM tone controls is darker than the RBI and you cannot raise the treble enough to reveal as much "highs" as the RBI and the presence on the RBI supposidly reveals more harmonics type frequencies that some, me, might describe as finger noise or string noise frequencies. I can see where this might be handy with double bass or flatwound strings.

in a few words...no, you can't get the clear sound of the RBI. again I'd lean towards the RBI on the whole, but am glad I have the RPM for my other moods in tech 21 preamp tones....

13. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay, completed my purchase of the Sansamp BDDI from a really cool guy here on TB (thanks Maurillio!). Great deal too!

Tried it out as a preamp, going from the 1/4" out straight into my QSC RMX 850, into my soon to leave Avatar B410.

Personal mystery debunked! That thing was pretty darn loud. How loud? Well, to put it another way, I couldn't put the BDDI's level to max because I was scared to. That means, loud enough for me. I've tried using my also soon to leave B5R as a preamp into the QSC RMX 850 and I didn't notice one to be louder than the other at similarly relative volume positions. YMMV (wow, I never thought I'd use that term)

Anyway, so yes, if you have a QSC RMX, the 1/4" will definitely do.

On to the rest of my short review: Was able to adequately control the BDDI using all the different knobs to where you could most likely find "your sound". True, no mid EQ (boo) BUT mastering the mix of bass and treble yields mid cuts and boosts, as the manual states (wish it was more specific though). Basically, all the knobs definitely make a difference, which to me equates to versatility. The blend does indeed blend the pure sound of the bass (footswitch disengaged) and the pure sound of the BDDI. It does make a difference like everyone says! You don't have to have it 100% on all the time like the manual mostly recommends. The drive and the volume make for interesting knob partners. But the effect on each other, after a bit of playing around, is apparent. From the way other's described, I was ready to listen to some crazy distortion, but actually, the drive at max definitely is not anywhere near the STUPID-DISTORTION that my B5R was capable of. What evil could that possibly be used for? Sorry. Anyway, the drive does it's job and the level is affected in some way that I can't presonally describe. And for what it's worth, I've never heard the sound of just my bass guitar amplified with no effect at all until I disengaged the footswitch. SO THAT'S WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE! Educational. Explains a lot of what I hear from my amps actually. Pretty cool.

The only thing I wish it had was a master volume so that I could get the level and the drive to play well together, and then just turn the volume up or down, without destroying my creation. But hey, it is what it is.

Looks to be quite a handy little companion for those times when I don't want to lug much and I don't need the exact sound or power of my SVT 4 Pro. Oh how I would have KILLED for this little thing when I traveled on a couple of out of state gigs. I can't believe I took my 30+ lb B5R on one trip, and a 4 space rack filled with a preamp/compressor/tuner/furman on another trip! WHAT WAS I THINKING?! All of it (except for the tuner) would have been answered by this little thing. Oh well.

Relevance to this thead: Only if you consider it was a suggestion for a starter rack. Otherwise, sorry. :D

-T

14. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

I have the 6 space version. It's not full yet :p I have a power conditioner and my SVT 3Pro in it so far. It does it's job, but rattles and vibrates quite a bit. But with a full band playing, I can't hear it. For me, that's the only downfall to these cases. Pricewise, it was a good deal.

15. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I had the same problem with my rack (RBI and QSC PLX 1202).

This is how I solved the problem.

Auralex MoPads

I put the MoPads under my rack between the rack and the cabinet (GS 112 x 2) No more rattling. I love 'em. You can find them at your local GC. I think they where around $35.00 or so.