1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Starting over again at 50

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Alowishus Mudd, Dec 21, 2018.

1. I was in band/orchestra starting in 4th grade through graduation day senior year 1986 playing some form of bass instrument. Bass clarinet, double E flat bass clarinet, bass drum, and for junior and senior years, a late 70's Jazz that belonged to the school. After graduation, life dealt a few bad cards so had to put away my Rock God (or back-up for a Rock God, ;) ) dreams.

Fast forward to fall 2017. Divorced, decent job, son moved out and on with his life, and with no real hobbies, I wandered into the nearby GC and wandered out with a Squier VM Jaguar and a Rumble 40. With rekindled hopes of Rock stardom, or at least something to keep me occupied for a few hours a day, I had rejoined the Realms of the Low End!

In the year+ since, GAS has forced me to purchase an Ibanez AEB20E acoustic/electric and a Fender AmPro Jazz, with money currently being saved for my dream bass. the Gibson Thunderbird. An old one would be nice but I'm not rich!

With no real musician friends anymore, I needed a place to talk bass. So I Googled, clicked the first link, read a few threads, and signed up.

So Hi Everyone and Happy Holidays!

2. Welcome. It's going to be a hobby for quite awhile. Have fun.

Alowishus Mudd likes this.
  3. Gemini11

Gemini11

Jan 19, 2019
    Rock on

4. Gemini11

Gemini11

Jan 19, 2019
    Rock on AM. Never to late. I'm also divorced, 48 and my life long dream to learn to play the bass became a reality for me 4 months ago. My fingers and brain don't want to progress as fast as I would like but I'm having fun with the challenge. I have a Sterling Stingray to start my journey and I like your choice on the Gibson I'm not a huge fan of Gibson Basses but the Tbird rocks. If I was to get another bass as I progress I'm not real sure what it would be at this point. -Dan

5. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Hi, Alowishus. Welcome to TalkBass! And good luck with Rock stardom. You've got a great starter rig there.

I'd like to invite you to visit, peruse, and perhaps join the Fender Rumble Club and the Combo Club for discussing your amp. There are other clubs around that may also be of interest to you.

Welcome!