1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Starting with a cheap double bass or....

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Racsen, Mar 31, 2006.

Go for..

Poll closed May 30, 2006.
  1. Nice handmade bass guitar?

64 vote(s)
    77.1%
  2. Cheap double bass and Ibanez Jazz Bass guitar?

19 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Recently I sold my cort A6 and i got 750$ and now I have and old Ibanez jazz bass.

I want to learn double bass but in this price I found a double bass made in china.

Now I'm thinking should I start to learn with a cheap double bass ?
    Or should I go a luthier and get a bass guitar I want ? ( I know a luthier in my city and he is good . I can get a nice bass from him)

I know double bass is a different instrument and hard to learn and I've been playing bass about 3 years.I like playing and listening jazz.There is 2 way to go for me: A nice hand made bass guitar or Cheap double bass + Ibanez jazz bass

I thought you can help me to choose.By the way I'm sorry for my english . I dont know very well.

2. Maybe the best thing to do would be
    to rent a double bass...

Is that an option?

That way, you could try it for awhile
    and make a decision.

The scale length is longer than your Jazz Bass
    so it will take some adjustment.

Get something that will make you want to play
    and create music everyday.

peace

3. Chris Rhoades

Chris Rhoades

Sep 19, 2004
    San Antonio Texas
    Endorcing Artist:BNA Audio, Boothill bass strings.
    yeah either rent a bass, or get an American, or German plywood bass, if you don;t like playing upright you can sell it for what you bought it for, with a Chiness bass it loses value the day they sell it top you.

4. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Or better yet, first read the NEWBIE stuff and TONS
    of material already posted in here on just this question.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat

Apr 14, 2003
    Minnesota
    Look for an old Plywood Bass like a Kay or such. It might take some looking in your price range but I bet you will have a much more playable instrument than a cheap Chinese made bass. Pretty much everyone has learned on a plywood Double Bass first. I remember a music shop I used to take lessons at had an old plywood Bass for sale for $1,000 and that was after they had repaired the neck and I believe new strings on it.

6. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    If you're thinking about getting a double bass, read through some posts in the DB section. Be aware of the cheap basses on eBay. They may seem like a good idea, but will cost you alot to get it set up and have the fingerboard planed, etc. As for Kay basses, they are nice plywoods however they are commanding alot of money right now for collectabilty value. I think renting is a great idea. Alot of places will put that money toward the purchase price if you decide to buy. Ask up front. When I started, I was lucky to find a local bass player who took a liking to me, and gave me a great deal on my ply.If you have a teacher, see if he can go along with you to give an expert opinion. Good luck.

7. Gasp!

Gasp!

Apr 27, 2005
    Switzerland
    A nice handmade bass and an Ergo Eub? :)
    Good luck for the choice!

8. Hi Racsen,

My advice would be: if you want to play double bass, then get one somehow! As other people have said, renting may be a great option, especially as the resale value of a cheap Chinese double bass is not so good.

But I think that the real question you need to answer is, do you REALLY want to play Double Bass? After that, the answer to your question should be clear.

As far as Chinese basses go, I play a VERY cheap Chinese bass myself, and the main problem is the set-up. So, no matter what you do, make sure you get it set-up right. A luthier's or your DOUBLE BASS teacher's advice is invaluable in this regard.

By the way, welcome to TB, don't worry your English (which is fine by the way). It's great to see TB getting more international all the time. :)

9. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    Thank you for all answers.Today I went to a local store and I play a czech double bass about 1 hour and I noticed it is hard to learn but I want it :)

So I found a czech double bass (not I played today) it is nice I think I dont have a chance to try but I trust the girl who sell.The price is 600$

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    You should start with two decent instruments. As a student, you don't want to be fighting with a hard to play, awful sounding, difficult instrument, be it BG or DB. At the same time, a $2500 custom BG or a $7,000 DB isn't going to make you learn faster.

Luckily you can get a pretty good BG for under $200 these days, and a pretty good DB for under $1800.

11. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    I 'm buying this czech double bass I hope this was a good decision for me .Maybe there is a double bassist inside me :)

12. Good Choice... Looks like a nice Bass...

Does it have a label inside?

Cheers