Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by priggy, Jul 8, 2004.

1. priggy

Jul 8, 2004
    im just about to start tp play bass. do u know any books that i could learn from or any websites. anything to get me started. i have also been playing guitar for a year so i know a little.
    i really want to learn and get songwriting hopefully putting it with my guitar parts
    There has probably been threads about this before but i dont want to go through a whole load of pages
  2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Welcome to Talkbass! I hope you learn a lot and enjoy your time here.

I'm going to ship this over into General Instruction, where this question will be better answered.

And, Gia is right. Talkbass is a great place to learn. Read EVERYTHING and never stop learning. I've been here more than 2 years, and I still learn new things every day. Talkbass is one of the best bass resources (not to mention FREE) that I know of.
  4. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004 lessons area. Sometimes they are pretty good.

And just play a lot.
  5. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    At times I feel like an iconoclast on this forum.

Many posters who are experienced players repeatedly point newbies toward websites and how-to books.

I'm not against either of those sources (I've benefited a lot from this site).

But I think newbies should be informed that to become good on this instrument, a critical path to take is to listen to as much good bass playing as possible.

If you want to create or recreate great music, listen to (and study intently) great music.

My advice to a newbie?

1. Learn good physical technique (probably best learned from an instructor).

2. Even if your goal is to write your own lines, listen to recordings and accurately figure out as many bass lines as possible. This is hard work, but well worth it.

3. Learn theory on the visually-friendly piano (easy to then transfer to any other instrument).
  6. bigyellowhead76

Jul 14, 2004
    yea that is true you can learn alot from this site but you cat learn everything. the best tab site out there has to be if i were you i would learn the musical alphabet and how to read music. trust me it helps you so much in the studio. also if you have friends that are bassists ask them how they practice and what techniques they use they will help you alot to