1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

step up transformer for 700rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by diplomat, Mar 19, 2008.

1. diplomat

diplomat

Mar 6, 2008
    Hi guys,
    I have just received a GK 700rbII from the states and require a step up transformer as I am in Australia. Averages 230 watts and peaks 994 watts. Will a 1000W transformer be suffuce?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. You mean step-down transformer...? (I know, turn it around, same difference.)

And, yeah, 1000W should be fine.

3. diplomat

diplomat

Mar 6, 2008
    It must be a terminology thing that has me confused. I will be plugging it into 240v so don't I need it to step from 110v up to 240v?

Sorry I'm a newb

:help:

Andrew

4. mate- get it looked at. I think the II series can be internally rewired. I know the 1001RBII can be.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, check the user's manual. It might be a simple fix and save you the considerable cost of an adequate transformer.

6. Well, the wall powers the amp, not the other way around. :p

Like the others say, check if it can be adjusted internally. Switched-mode power supplies are usually more forgiving with different mains power.

7. It won't be switch mode but will probably be multitapped. Similar to Ampeg Pro, Aguilar and Eden heads.

8. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    The power consumption should be stamped on the back of the amp, in watts. This you must meet or preferably exceed with your step-down transformer. Note that the transformer will most likely be rated in VA. I would think that 1000VA should be enough. It'll be heavy for sure.