1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Step up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oreomann33, Mar 11, 2008.

1. oreomann33

oreomann33

Mar 11, 2008
    I'm looking to step up from my Squire p-bass to something in the 300-500 price range. I'm trying to lean away from Fender just because everyone seems to have one and the ones I've played I didn't really feel comfortable with. I play mostly Jazz and Funk type music, not so much metal or hard rock. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can go down to my local music shop and try some out. Thanks.

2. try a schecter, well.. hell try everything you can get your hands on, even if its out of your price range. thats the only way to know what basses are really YOUR kind of bass.

3. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Mmm, an Ibanez ATK? A spector legend or a second-hand Rebop? A warwick corvette passive?

4. Yeah, just try everything out.

5. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    What everyone has or doesn't really shouldn't concern you. Sound, quality, feel and playability are what matter. get out and play everything you can to get an idea of what you like.

6. oreomann33

oreomann33

Mar 11, 2008
    Yeah, I try to play as many as I can, but my local music store requires you to have assistance when trying them out, and once I get through 4 or 5 I can tell the assistant is getting impatient. I'm just looking some recommendations of a few notoriously satisfying basses or series. Thanks for the help.

7. Whether they get irritated or not should be of little concern in trying out the basses if you're actually going to buy something. Most likely their attitude is from kids who spend their time there and end up not buying anything. (Guilty! :bag:)

8. oreomann33

oreomann33

Mar 11, 2008
    Haha yeah, but I can't focus and enjoy myself when I know the guy just wishes I would buy it and leave, it makes me uncomfortable. I'm too much of a nice guy.:smug:

9. Yeah, I know people like that, too. But, really, it shouldn't get in the way of choosing a good instrument. Besides, if you're seriously looking, it'll more obvious that you are because you won't be spending ten minutes doing some stupid, unskilled slap rendition. Check for dead spots, test the EQ (if active), the pickup settings, the feel, fretwork, etc.

10. generally, theres a REASON why everybody and their grandmother has a jazz bass. its ok to check out the more popularly used basses because you probably WILL like many of them, just dont buy it BECAUSE its a popular bass.

11. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    ...hold off, save another couple of hundred and then you open yourself up to a lot more basses, particularly second hand..

12. oreomann33

oreomann33

Mar 11, 2008
    I really don't want to go past 500, I've got a new computer to build and I'm looking pimp out my car's system, and working for peanuts doesn't speed that up. Plus my Squire has a very annoying grounding problem that is getting progressively worse, so I'd like to get a new bass ASAP.

13. That's not irreparable. Probably very easy to fix.

14. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Get your grounding problem sorted! Unless you are really lucky in the second hand market, $300-500 isn't going to get you much of a step-up.

If you really need a new bass get your priorities straight:)D) and use what you'll spend on the pimping the car system for the bass!