1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stereo Question ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlbarlow, Apr 17, 2009.

1. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Okay, so sorry if this is not the place for such a question, but I'm a bass player, I've got a non-bass amp question, and I figured you guys could answer my question. I just picked up a used stereo receiver that recommends using speakers of 8 to 16 ohms. I was given speakers that are 6 ohms. Am I going to kill my amp running 6 ohm speakers? I'm thinking not, if I don't crank the volume on them ... but I'm eager to get thoughts.

Otherwise, I'm all set with my BASS amp.

Thanks!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you get a little "overenthusiastic" with the volume you could get into trouble.

Paul

3. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Now, would that trouble just shut down my amp before it was damaged? I guess I'd need to find an on-line manual to know for sure. It's a Sony STR-DE885.

4. mlbarlow

mlbarlow

Apr 26, 2005
    Plattsburgh, NY
    BTW - Nice bass Paul ... I'm a Carvin man, myself.

5. Xyg

Xyg

Apr 17, 2009
    PDX
    You'll probably be fine at lower volume levels. Just remember to run only *one* pair of speakers at a time.

6. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Thanks. That one is Pippin LB76WP I have another two sixes and a five from them. :)

Paul

7. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Downloading the manual is a good first action. I'm a Sony guy too. My receiver will handle 4Ω loads but you have to specify the load in the amp menu.

Paul