1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stereo to Mono

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Quick question...My wireless guitar setup is mono....if I want to use a stereo source...can I just use a mono plug out of the source (iphone) and run it into the transmitter? Then will all of the music come out or just one speaker? Or should I do a stereo to mono cable? I can't remember what cables I have used before and I want 'both channels' of audio to be heard even if it's through 1 speaker.

Hope that makes sense.

2. The proper thing to do is sum the signals with active buffers. Otherwise at least use summing resistors to prevent the drop in input impedance on each output.

Otherwise, if you don't mind losing sound quality, you can shunt the left and right outputs together.

If you use a mono plug, you will only get the left side of the stereo feed. (Unless iPhones have some sort of automatic switching?)

3. Thanks but not sure I follow.