Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sterling Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well, I went into my local shop today, and I went to the back of the store to look at the bass I thought to be a stingray all along, and it turns out they moved it up to the front of the store, and looking at it up high, I noticed it was a sterling, I was puzzled, but than it all made sense. The stingray doesn't have the selector switch, And I was confused why it did, but now that I know its a sterling, it makes sense. But I still dont know it does, so can someone fill me in?

Wow, so all along though, I thought I was a stingray fan...lol, I even played the bass, thats sad on my part.

Thanks

2. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Wow ok im sorry, The question that is buried in my rambling, was, What does the little switcher do on the sterling. It looks like a pickup selector, only there's one pick up. So does it do something to the frequencies?

3. Obviously the stingray was in the front of the back and it should have been in back of the front with the back facing front of the back in the front of the store...

duh.

4. dude, plenty of info at the Ernie Ball website, but to get you started here's the word;

it selects between serial coils, parallel coils or single coil (with phantom coil).

5. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    hmmm, well I looked on ernieballs website, it said what you said, but I still have no idea what it does. Like what makes it sound diffrent, becuase like I said (or should of said) was that I played with the switch and didn't notice any sound change. And the bass was working properly, they have everything working right at the local shop. So dont blame it on them, blame it on my bad ear if anything.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It changes between SERIES, Parallel or single coil.

Look up some electronic stuff and you'll get what we mean.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    No offence, but you must have a pretty bad ear if you didn't notice anything.. Single coil gives a nice slight growl to the tone (Middle) Series gives a fatter, punchy sound with a cutting top. Parallel is a bit harder to explain, it's a bit more attacking, sounds flatter IMO and sounds like it has more of a midrange than series.

8. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yeah well Im not taking any offense, Im gonna try it out again and I'll see if I cant here the diffrence now that its been pointed out to me. And if I cant consider me a moron, or the bass is messed up.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The change is fairly subtle... but it's noticeable if you're listening for it.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

Hmmm, IME, it's not that subtle. Especially when slapping or tapping, or playing a complicated line, the changes really show. I think theres a pretty big difference between parallel and series, and same with single coil. I spose ya just gotta know how to work 'em.

11. D'OH! Sorry, was programming at the time I wrote that, had PICs and assembly language on the brain!

The difference could be considered subtle, but it's not hard to notice. Turn the amp up and do something more than just plucking an open string as you flick the switch!

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Oh, I know how to "work 'em", I've had a Sterling for several years now. What I'm saying is that it's not going to make it sound like a different bass. Shades of tone, not primary colors.

13. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well I was in GC Looking for an amp, and I found a sterling on the shelf, so I asked the sales person, and he explained everything to me in detail. So I got everything, Im pretty sure, that around christmas time I'll get one. Blue Pearl, White pearloid pickguard, rosewood fretboard, it'll be heaven. Kinda anyways.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just like mine, then!

Attached Files:

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Actually:

3-way lever pickup selector (position 1 is closest to neck)
    1 - both coils, series mode
    2 - single coil
    3 - both coils, parallel mode

http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/specs/instruments_sterling.html

When I borrow my buddy's, I tend to use position 3, it just sounds the most natural to me. Tonight I'm borrowing it again, I'll try 1 on for longer than I usually do and see if it grows on me.

Is the pickup on a Stingray 4 wired series or paralell?

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I stuck with series all night, and ended up liking the bass a lot better. It sounds a little ganky on its own, but with the band it was killin, especially on the chili peppers tunes we do.