sterling sub ray 4 and ray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewphishes, Mar 10, 2017.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    I've been looking at a ray 34 as a second bass but these sub ray 4s play very well And i thought they sounded great.

anyone have experience with one? good things to say? bad?

2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Have to go with good.
    Light, neck has a lovely smooth feel, I like the hot pre amp.
    Looks really cool in black & maple.
    And they don't cost much.

3. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I have a Ray 34 and love it. Tried a Sub 4 and was not impressed with the electronics. Probably would have been improved by a setup, but that was at GC.

4. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    anybody else bump

5. lostreality

lostreality

Sep 2, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I've got a SUB and it plays nice but the tonal variety is a little limited. Still a great deal for 300 bucks though

6. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I've had three and love them. I kept them over my Ray34 because of the slimmer neck and the less "clangy" sound. Get one of this year's models made in China as they have a different pre-amp that has better volume control and isn't hot to the point of clipping.

lostreality likes this.
  7. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    ive now seen the SX jazz basses and they look kinda nice too AHHHHH decisions

8. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I tried a new SUB 5 at my local GC a few weeks ago, and I honestly have to say that it felt like what many people think every cheap foreign bass feels like. It was literally rough around the edges, especially on the neck; a classic sweatshop job with minimal QA, and a big letdown relative to the quality I'm used to from EBMM with my Big Al.

My Squier VM Jaguar SS, which cost $100 less with a gig bag, feels far better in terms of craftsmanship. It feels like a proper instrument should; better than many higher graded Fenders I've played. They even hit little things like beveling the edges of the fretboard, and it played well right from the box with the stock setup. The difference in QA and attention to detail between Squier and the SUB was glaringly obvious. Take that as you will.

Micah D likes this.
  9. lostreality

lostreality

Sep 2, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Glad to see they did something about the volume pot and preamp, which were my only two major complaints about the SUB line. Mine has two settings: "loud" and "off"

10. Stef FR

Stef FR

Feb 9, 2018
    Hello guys ! Stef from France ! Still waiting for my sub 5, red ruby from Gear4music. I have an OLP 4 strings for more than 20 years, still my favorite bass even if I had many ones (still have 4 strings, Schecter Diamond Series Deluxe, Squier Jazz Bass VM 70, had Squier PB affinity, Squier Jazz Bass VM 77, Squier Vintage Precision TB, and 5 strings, Cort C5H, Harley Benton 5 fretless, Warwick RB Streamer Standard).
    Happy to be here !
    Busy, I'll try to follow this topic and improve my English

11. Fretless370

Fretless370 Fretless AND Headless

Dec 1, 2015
    I have had 4 - Ray4's so far. All were great out of the box in terms of even frets (no sharp edges), some with REALLY nice birds eye necks (seems to be mainly the newest models). I think the only real negative I can say (and it's not really negative in my mind) is that, the 2 band pre-amps can leave a little to be desired. To me , thats related to the price point but they still didn't (don't) use cheap junk. I'm a fretless player and recently moved to a Ray34ca fretless (shout-out to basstrangler, thanks again for the CA brother! I love it!). It has the 2 band pre-amp as well but a better version and better pup.

image-AC98_58B2AC32.gif

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018