1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sterling Sub Ray or Squier Classic Vibe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by new_bass, Mar 12, 2013.

1. new_bass

new_bass

Sep 24, 2012
    I am a proud owner of a Fender American Special Jazz Bass and a Sterling Sub Ray 5.
    As much as I like the Sterling I am still not really sure if a 5 string is the way to go for me.
    I would like a second budget bass as a back up. Should I go with the Sterling Sub ray 4 or the Squier classic vibe 50's or 60's precision?
    I am not interested in Ibanez, Yamaha or any of the other non Leo basses.
    cheers.

2. do you want active preamp or passive tones? That'd be the decider for me...

3. new_bass

new_bass

Sep 24, 2012
    I find the active circuit a bit over bearing and I like to play blues and rock n roll so there in lies my answer. I like the sound of the sterling though

4. both awesome basses. I'd have trouble deciding too. I think the SUB would come out ahead... barely.. for me anyway.

5. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    Id say go for the CV P bass. With a Jazz, Precision and 5 string ray, you'd have a pretty versatile arsenal. Those CV basses seem to have a pretty good reputation on here too.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I have always considered Ray basses for those that love the jazz sound but want a little more growl. I was a Jazz bass player for years and switched to a Sterling Ray 34 and got rid of jazz because it is a really versatile bass that sits in my 3 piece cover band well.

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Used Ray34.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Out the box.....Squier. The SBMM Sub Ray4 is a great playing bass but the stock electronics are horrible. They need immediate upgrading.

9. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Get the Matt Freeman Signature Squier Precision. It's pretty much the CV P only with an Olympic white finish or black. And above all that, the Maple Fretboard/Neck is incredible.

10. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Squire Classic Vibes are hard to pass up...they can be a Main Bass for sure.