Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STEVE DIGORGIO

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I hear the man has MAJOR metal chops. So fill me in, fellow low-enders, what Sadus, Control Denied, Death etc. songs should I check out?

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Death - The Philosopher

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Go buy 'Individual Thought Patterns' by Death right now. And if you can find it, just about anything by Sadus. Steve certainly does have awesome chops, and his fretless tone is awesome. He uses the three finger technique as well.

Like Jonki said, 'The Philosopher' will give you a great taste of his style, especially in the lead bass part at the end. Also, try 'Nothing Is Everything', 'Mentally Blind', and from Death's 'Human' album, try to find the instrumental 'Cosmic Sea' with an awesome solo in the middle.

He's also played with Testament, Iced Earth and many other metal bands. Be sure to tell us what you think of his playing.

Graeme

4. Did DiGiorgio play on Death's Sound of Preserverance? If not, who waas that player?

5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    no, it was Scott Clendenin

Steve played on Human and Individual thought patterns

and yes, cosmic sea solo is awesome!!

www.stevedigiorgio.com

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    "Visions From the Spiral Generator" and "The Focusing Blur" by Vintersorg are awesome. Some of Steve's best work ever, even challenging ITP in places. ITP stands out for me as the best bass playing I've ever heard on a metal album.

Steve D. is the man.

7. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    Now he's playing with Sebastian Bach

8. What?! :eek:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yuck... the Bach...

Opinion time: Did anyone watch the videos on Steve's website? What band was that? IMO he ruined the mix on a lot of those video clips. He makes a few mistakes, but he's not playing with the guitars or worse yet, the drums, at all! I'm sure he's better in the studio.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    That would be Testament. I'll have to watch the videos again, but I don't remember him ruining the mix.

Graeme

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It is just my opinion. But listen to it with headphones on. He's spending a major chunk of the song soloing and it's clashing with the guitar/vocals.

12. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    Not Johan Sebastian Bach!
    But the former singer of Skid Row

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Something tells me he knew that... and that was the reason for the reaction. :D

It's just like... why follow the pattern like Testament, Death.... Skid Row?

A totally different kind of metal. Though, I would like to see him rock with Johan.

14. You got it :) ...but yes, it would be fun to watch him rock out in a more traditional style.

15. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    sadus......swallowed in black. good luck.

16. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oh yeah, another awesome Sadus song would be 'Images'. Awesome bass intro.

Graeme

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I prefer his Dark Hall stuff to any of his Metal stuff. His intonation on fretless leaves a lot to be desired.

18. I had that one on vinyl, but someone mistakenly threw all my vinyls away when they were stored in a basement, while I was away for a couple of months... :( Individual Thought Patterns was among them too... that's the best Steve D record I think.