Steve Harris Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by led4thehed2, Apr 12, 2018.

1. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    I figured I can't be the only one who has one of these basses and loves them, or just wants to learn more about them. Over the years there has been a lot of mis-information spread about these basses in threads discussing them. Heck, even Fender's published specs have been incorrect at times! I'm hoping to create a thread with information from official/verifiable sources, and then plan to update this first post with info and specs about all three generations.

So- let's see your pictures, hear your reviews, soundclips, etc.

My thread- so I get #1! :D Okay, now for information...

First Generation: July 2001 - January 2002
    Info obtained from Eli Srouji - Fender Customer Service - 9/14/2014

Model Number: 025-2602-(502)
    Body: Basswood
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25" radius
    Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.750” (44.5 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome Plated Nickel
    Machine Heads: Vintage Style
    Bridge: Bad Ass II Bridge
    Pickguard: Wine Red Mirror Pickguard
    Pickups: Seymour Duncan SPB-3
    Colors: (502) Lake Placid Blue
    Strings: Super 7250ML, NPS, p/n 073-7250-005.
    Gauges: .045, .065, .080, .100.
    Other Features: Separate Laminated Maple Fretboard,
    Steve Harris Signature and Iron Maiden Logo on the Headstock,
    Black Dome Volume and Tone Knobs
    Source: Japan

U.S. MSRP: $799.99
    INTRODUCED: 7/2001
    DISCONTINUED: 1/2002
    WRENCH SIZES: Saddle Height Adjustment Wrench, (.050 Hex), p/n 0018531000

Second Generation: January 2009 - January 2015
    Info from Kevin Castenada- Fender Customer Service- 3/10/17

Model Name: Steve Harris Precision Bass®
    Model Number: 025-2602-(350)
    Body: Alder
    Neck: 1-Piece Maple, (Gloss Polyurethane Finish)
    Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25” Radius (184 mm)
    Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Scale Length: 34” (863.6 mm)
    Nut: 1.65” (42 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Vintage Style
    Bridge: Leo Quan Badass® II
    Pickguard: 1-Ply Chrome Pickguard
    Pickups: Seymour Duncan SPB-1
    Colors: (350) Royal Blue Metallic, (Gloss Polyurethane Finish)
    Strings: Rotosound® Steve Harris Signature Custom Flat-Wound,
    Gauges: .050, .075, .095, .110.

Other Features: Steve Harris Signature on Back of Headstock
    Source: Japan
    Accessories: Deluxe Gig Bag
    U.S. MSRP: $1,299.99
    INTRODUCED: 1/2009
    DISCONTINUED: 1/2015
    WRENCH SIZES: Saddle Height Adjustment Wrench, (.050” Hex), P/N 0018531000,
    Truss Rod Adjustment Wrench, (5 mm Hex), P/N 0074911000
    COMMENTS: Price drop from $1,750.00 to $1,699.99 in 1/2010

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Soundchaser11460 likes this.
  2. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    For the first gen, I'm doubting the reported 1.75" nut width. I had one of these basses for a short time, and IIRC, the neck seemed to have a standard 1 5/8" nut width. Can anybody with one post a photo measuring the nut? Thank you!

3. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    cool thread...i have second bass (sparkle Blue) which i am still absolutely in love with..tho i cannot find what the body is finished with..IE lacquer ...polyester etc..it is beautiful and i have loved this bass since i first saw it 8 years ago...and altho i am probably going to get alot of poopie for this next comment but oh well..i honestly think this bass is more of a 50s style bass because of the thick thick neck... also the new (olympic white) signature is as close to steves bass then they have gotten ...

anyway heres a pic of my bass and playing it..errr

005.JPG 1.jpg

4. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Agreed- I think the necks they used were left over from a run of 50s reissues they had recently done. It would explain why some necks have a serial number that dates to 2007, 2 years before the second series was issued.

Bassist4 likes this.
  5. IMG_20180112_125404553.jpg

6. All i can say is, they got it right with the blue sparkle. It actually is the one with 1.75 nut width, hence the fatter 50's style feel. The first gen and the new white one have standard 1.65, and feel very similar to each other. As with Steve's original sparkle bass, its made of alder, and has the best weight out of the three. The first gen is made of basswood, and is extremely light. I have a squire that is heavier than the first gen! The new white on the other hand, is beastly heavy with its 2 piece maple body.

Bassist4, byoung93888 and led4thehed2 like this.
  7. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    I hate you. But it's only because I'm jealous. That's a sweet collection.

ScottyMoe likes this.
  8. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Huh, mine definitely does not have a 1 3/4" nut width. It's slightly more than 1 5/8". I agree the second is the best.

9. thanks! Gotta look the part in my Maiden tribute, STILL LIFE! Scott & Steddie.jpeg

10. Im sure these spec numbers they put out there are nominal, as everything varies within accepted tolerances, but the nut on my blue sparkle is definitely wider than the other two, and feels thicker despite the new white having a more U shape profile..

11. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    When I contacted Fender customer service they told me the body finish was gloss polyurethane finish.

12. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    My conversations with Fender revealed the second generation also have the big U shaped neck profile. So it should feel pretty similar to the white ones.

13. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    that would definately make sense

14. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    ohkay cool thanks so much for that info been wondering that for a while.

15. Bassist4

Bassist4

Jul 4, 2010
    Right Here
    So i have a stupid question i guess. do you guys prefer the blue ones sound over the white one? because i think the white one has a bit of a brighter sound and his strings tend to last longer on the white one with the brightness...

also anyone know if steve ever actually used SBP-1? the pickup in the blue one

16. clickclack

clickclack

Jan 20, 2018
    Early days should be SPB-1 yes. Later, not sure when, he got custom Duncans, called SPB-4 now. Not a huge difference; slightly more bass. I guess if Fender makes another run, they'd put these in.
    It's all about fresh / super-cleaned roto flats and SPBs. All of them would work with slight EQ tweaks. I modded a cheap body with those and can get the damned tone, for about two weeks tops, then the strings need to be treated again. :/

17. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes, I prefer the sound of the blue sparkle over the new white ones. I feel that the white ones do an amazing job of nailing Steve's current tone, but I feel it's not as versatile a sound. Whereas the blue ones have a nice vintage voiced pickup that with a little EQ or tone adjustment can suit a number of different styles.

According to the research I've done over the years, yes, Steve did originally use an SPB-1 pickup. I've seen it in a number of different articles reviewing his gear, and before he had his own signature SPB-4 pickup he was listed on Seymour Duncan's website as using an SPB-1. Although I have read numerous times that it was either an "over wound" or "custom shop" SPB-1.

18. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Agreed fresh strings are a big part of it, and pretty much any of the Duncan pickups will work if you tweak the EQ. I put a fresh set of Rotosound flats on my bass last week, and was shocked at the difference. My old strings have been used for a little over a year, and had really mellowed out. When I put the fresh strings on I thought "Wow I sound exactly like Steve!"

19. clickclack

clickclack

Jan 20, 2018
    Do not throw them out yet! They're high quality steel alloy and can stand more than a few rounds of ultrasonic cleaner. I was surprised they sounded even brighter than new when I first done that. Gets rid of some machine oil and stuff even when fresh, I think.
    Title goes "What string companies don't want you to know!" I guess. haha

20. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Shoot, too late. I usually cut the strings off when I change 'em. They had a really nice mellow tone. In the future I may jusy save 'em and try cleaning them.
    Agreed fresh strings are a big part of it, and pretty much any of the Duncan pickups will work if you tweak the EQ. I put a fresh set of Rotosound flats on my bass last week, and was shocked at the difference. My old strings have been used for a little over a year, and had really mellowed out. When I put the fresh strings on I thought "Wow I sound exactly like Steve.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021