Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Harris

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by emkey, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emkey

emkey

Feb 11, 2004
    leicestershire UK
    HI!

i'm new here.heres a bit about me.
    i'm 15 my real name is Emily but everyone calls me em or emkey.I started playing bass 1 year ago.i'm in a band.i enjoy bmxing,going to concerts and jamming on my bass. :bassist:
    my bass is called sulley.(don't ask me why i named it,its ment to be good luck).My fav bands are Iron maiden,motorhead,AC/DC,black sabbath,judas priest,guns n roses and the red hot chili peppers.

My fav bass players are the one and only Steve harris and Flea.
    I have seen maiden live twice and it was just amazing,the power steve gives out,the power they all give out.so i would just like to say Steve you rock. :bassist:

2. Steve is great...one of my biggest influences too :)

3. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Steve Harris rules! Most of my friends don't believe me when I tell them that he plays that fast without a pick!

4. Well i can assure you he doesnt use a pick. I have seen him in concert more than once...and Steve even says he never used a pick before in the old Q&A on Iron Maidens official website. :p :)

5. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I read an interview with him about 10 years ago where he talked about growing his fingernails longer (on his right hand)when he's in the studio to get that clicking sound. Maiden just rules!

6. dimebag

dimebag

Mar 23, 2004
    Atlanta
    Hmmm, interesting thought. I always kinda figured it was his set up.

7. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Harris is also my favorite player! I've seen Maiden twice, last time was on January 21 2004 and I was in 5th row! Man this guy is mad! He plays fater than any other bassist I've seen.

I think Harris gets his "clicking" sound buy hitting his strings hard enough so they hit the first frets of the neck. His strings must also be really near from neck.

Could anyone tell me what bass he used for the last tours (I think it was the same since Rock in Rio). I'm almost sure it's a Fender, but I can't figure which one. The bass is white and has a metal pickgard.

[​IMG]
    (Picture was taken in Quebec City during the Dance of Death tour www.ironmaiden.qc.ca)

Thanks!

8. I believe that is his Sig bass, though correct if I am wrong, anyone.

9. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, he has his own signature series Fender bass with his signature series Rotosound strings. You can order one through your local Fender dealer. Must be nice to be a rockstar :)

10. I thought his sig bass was blue and was also discontinued 6 months after it came out?

[​IMG]

George

11. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks guys! I think his bass is light blue in fact, but on the pics it looks white... Long ago he had a royal blue bass with no pickguard.

12. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Steve has several basses in different colors. Fender just modeled the signature series like the basses that Steve set up (new bridge, pickups, metal pickguard), and had Steve pick his favorite color for the Fender release. The signature series is just a replica of the "type" of bass he plays. Not an exact copy (like the color difference). :bassist:

13. Wow, i have lots to say...

First of all, the bass Steve currently uses is a Fender P which is modded like his sig.(bad-ass2 bridge, duncan quarter pound pickups, and rotosound flatwounds and acrylic mirror pickguard) That white bass with black trim around the body is actually the same bass you seen him with in many other pics from the past...Steve himself said on Maiden.com how he has just refinnished it several times. It is also that same 'Royal blue or Lake Placid Blue' bass you seen. Its just been refinnished.
    Steve has also been known to use Lado and Ibanez basses in the late 70's to early 80's before starting to use P's exclusively.(The Lado is probally the one without the pickguard)
    The Steve Harris sig bass was discontinued a while back and can no longer be ordered. It had a short production run of 6 months. It has a bad-ass2 bridge and a duncan quarter pound pickup. It did not come with Rotosound strings. The strings Steve uses are not really common so Fender put their normal 'Super Bass Strings' (I beleive thats what they are called now)
    The 'fav colour of the bass is close...its actually sports the colours of Steve's favorite football team 'West Ham' The pickguard is red acrylic, not metal. And that is a bad pic of a Harris sig bass. So i shall include the pic of my Harris sig bass. :)

14. I must also apologize to cassanova, Jay, speddling for altering this thread to be about a bass rather than the bassist.

Sorry guys :(

15. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Very interesting B'Aces High! Thanks! And it's sad the model has been discontinued...

16. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    My favorite Steve Harris stuff is on Powerslave...followed by Number, Piece, and Killers. From 1980-1986 his sound was best and that's when he came up with the coolest basslines IMO.

I still think he's great but I hate his sound for the last few CDs.

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    There are many threads in the forum pertaining to Steve Harris. Please do a search and you will find all the information you'll need about him. If for some reason you cant find what you're looking for, just send me a pm or email and I'll reopen this thread for you.

Also welcome to Talkbass! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.