1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sticky fingers

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Oct 6, 2013.

1. My fingers have been getting sticky on gigs lately. anyone know if petrol based lubricants harm hybrid strings like evahs?

2. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I use a natural lube on my fingers when I play - Burts Bees Hand Salve - and that has never harmed guts or synthetic strings.

3. Is there rosin on the strings? You could wipe it off. I always aim for the simplest answer first.

4. Just tried DR Black Beauties.... they sound good, but feel sticky!

5. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Someone is lost.

6. Yes but not where I pizz. I'll give Berts a try
    Thx
    Dave

7. DB Slidefunk

DB Slidefunk

Jul 16, 2013
    UK
    I've seen Herbie "Walk on the Wild Side" Flowers play a few times and he always uses talk on his hands. I tried it a few times and it stops that sticky sweaty feeling.

8. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Talc? As in talcbass? ;^]

9. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    When I played electric I used rock climbing chalk, but it was for the opposite problem: my fingers would get sweaty, start to slip, then I would play harder, giving myself bad blisters.

to OP, which hand is sticky? maybe try cleaning your strings with isopropyl alcohol.

10. Its both hands. Do clean the strings

Thx
    Dave

11. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN

When's the last time you oiled your fingerboard? I ask for a couple of reasons:

1.) if you did it recently, maybe the oil you used dried tacky and got on the strings

2.) if you haven't done it recently, maybe there's some gunk on the fingerboard that the strings have picked up.

I'm just trying to troubleshoot because i think that putting gunk on your hands to play isn't a good solution to the problem.

12. I don't oil my fingerboard. Never have.
    The problem is probably related to some meds I have to take.
    I havent picked the hand salv yet but I assume it should worked into the skin before playing rather than gunking up the strings.
    Thx
    Dave

13. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey Dave, baby powder can be helpful if the strings are clinging to your fingers.

Its available in unscented. ;)

14. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Yes, just rub a little into your fingers before you play. I apply a little before each set as my hands tend to be dry. The baby powder could work too although may be a little messy. The Burts comes in small travel size containers and I keep one in the pocket of my bass cover.

15. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    +1 to baby powder. Rock climbing chalk also works very well (it's powder, you can get a bag of it from the outdoors store near you).

hope whatever you need the meds for clears up!

16. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Before playing, I wipe down the strings with the tears of my enemies.

ronlitz likes this.
  17. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I just love it when you're macho. ;)

18. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    On every gig I bring my ziplock bag that has a rosin bag and a handful of talc powder in there with it. When my hands are sticky I just grab the talc-covered rosin bag and rub it in my hands until they feel dry. That usually keeps them pretty dry for a set. As far as I know, there are no negative consequences to the bass/strings as long as you wipe it down afterwards.

19. Some people I know wipe the sweat from their nose (or god forbid... their armpits) to help grease their fingers. Gross, but it works!

20. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    To soak them in cider.