1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stiletto Studio 5 or Stiletto Custom 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hulktopus, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hulktopus

Hulktopus

Aug 22, 2012
    Mansfield, TX
    So I'm getting a bit of money back from Uncle Sam this year, and I want to buy a 5-string bass.

I've narrowed it down to the following:
    Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 Average Price: $550.00 USD
    Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 Average Price $750.00 USD

The biggest differences are:
    Custom: 6 Bolt Maple/Walnut neck, 2-Band EQ, S-Tek Bridge.
    Studio: Through-body Mahogany/Bubinga neck, 3-Band EQ, Diamond Custom Bridge

The bridges are different, but I'm not sure exactly what the difference is.

Are the features on the Studio worth the extra $200.00?

Input/experiences welcome.

Thanks

2. lokikallas

lokikallas

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I've got the studio and other than a little neck dive its really nice. The eq is important to me and the neck thru was a bonus. I am considering getting some ultralight machines, but a wide suede strap is enough to keep the neck dive in check.

3. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Sep 19, 2006
    Spring Hill, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Bluesman Vintage, Ernie Ball
    I had the studi 5 for a long time. I still have my custom 4. I found the Studio to be less neck heavy compaired to the Elite and Custom 5's while trying them out. The neckthrough of the studio is really nice for sustain and "body" which I found lacking with the other two.

You can get a lot of tones with the 3 band, is it still 18v?

The thing that took some getting used to was the finish on the neck. Felt kinda like crayon. But after some heavy gigging it smoothed out. Great bass over all :D

4. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Sep 19, 2006
    Spring Hill, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Bluesman Vintage, Ernie Ball
    Looks like the difference between the bridge pieces are the Studio is a solid piece and the Custom is an individual piece for each string. (Both of my basses had/have the individual piece bridge)

5. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    I have a Custom 4 and I prefer it to the studios I have played. VERY light, reliable and a great gigging bass.

I have tried Studios thinking about the extra features but have not like them as much.

6. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I'd go w/the Studio mainly for the 3 band. That mid control is SWEET. Mine had no neck dive (but I had a good, wide strap). It just had a GREAT feel to it...SO easy to play! Don't be afraid to look used. I recently sold mine (had to thin the herd) in MINT condition, with a very nice case, for $350. I already miss it. As always, IF you get the chance, play them both!

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    if they haven't changed anything, the custom has an emg 9volt 2-band preamp with internal dip switches that change the treble response/frequency and the studio has a 3-band 18volt preamp.

8. Hulktopus

Hulktopus

Aug 22, 2012
    Mansfield, TX
    Master Vol/Master Blend/EMG Active 18v 3 band EQ (Studio)

I believe you're correct about this, but the site only says "Master Vol/Master Blend/EMG Active 2 band EQ" in the specs.

The links in the original post are links to the spec sheets for each from Schecter's website :)

9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    http://www.schecterguitars.com/Content/International/About/F-A-Q.aspx
    part way down

"What do the frequency dip switches do on my EMG BTS 2-band bass EQ?

The dip switches are located on the BTS EQ circuit board inside the control cavity. The BTS has the added feature of allowing you to choose from 4 different high-frequency response curves. This is a nice feature, especially if you are using the BTS with passive pickups. The following diagrams show the dip-switch positions and the graphs show the resultant frequency responses. Click here for diagrams."

10. koppinjo

koppinjo Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Clarkston, MI
    I currently own both the Custom-4 and the Studio-4 and am trying to decide which one to keep and so far here are my observations:

-The Custom is a lot lighter (weight) than the Studio which I like
    -The finish on the neck of the Custom is matte and makes it easier to move around, but as Gigabajillion said, I believe the neck on the Studio will smooth out to be comparable.
    -2-Band EQ provided me with enough (and not TOO much) to quickly hone in on my preferred tone

-On the flip side, the Studio just feels more solid and I feel like it's easier to move around faster
    -When I first read about neck-thru sustain I didn't believe that the difference could be THAT big...but it is, and I favor this feature of the Studio over the Custom
    -3-band EQ provides a lot of options, but I still haven't been able to find my sweet spot...I'm sure it's there, it is just taking more fiddling around
    -I have the honey-satin finish and it is just beautiful (my Custom is the natural finish)

Both have fast necks, I like the balance of both. I got the Custom used for $350 and the Studio open-box new for $436 so the deals are out there. If you have the access, I would suggest playing the Custom, then the Studio...then the Custom, then the Studio, then the Custom one last time and see how you feel

11. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    5 years ago, I tried several Custom, Elite, and Studio 5ers in a Guitar Center through a amp I knew and liked. I personally liked the tone and sustain of the neck-through Elite and Studio better than the Customs, and, oddly enough, found it easier to get a tone I liked from the one Elite than either of the Studios in the shop, despite the Studio having "better" EQ, so I picked up the Elite, for a tad over $600. While I found the through-necks better as a class than the Customs, and while the Stilettos as a class are very nice basses in the absolute, and amazing basses for the money, there does seem to be enough variation in weight, finish, and tonality within each class that I think it's really important to evaluate the individual instruments.

12. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    FINALLY SOME SCHECTER FANS! Here's my 004.

Attached Files:

13. I actually prefer a 2 band EQ section over 3 tone wise, but I also do prefer a neck thru, so that is a really tough call..

Cant really go wrong either way.

14. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    I had the Elite for awhile. Not sure about the Customs, but I know the Elite had more durable finish than the Studio.

15. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Unless, of course, you find an Elite, which is exactly the 2-band EQ neck-through variant. They don't seem to build them any more, but there are a fair number of them out there on the market, including NOS.

16. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    OR you could buy my Studio 6! I like it very much. Great tone, fantastic build quality. I believe it's the same string spacing as the 5's. Same price (from me,) as a new Custom 5. Just need the money. Send me a pm if you're interested. I have an add in the classifieds as well. :ninja:

17. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I suppose I should give you some of my first hand input so it doesn't seem like i'm trolling.

So:
    -I've been very impressed with the tonal diversity of this bass. I'm a big fan of the 3 band. I very much like having the mids control.

-Until I bought this bass I was under the impression that "You need to have a string thru body for a clear B." Well I was wrong. This has a great articulate B with very little floppiness.

-I've had a couple other sixers and have always hated the C string on them. They usually sound harsh, thin, and they don't seem to balance with the rest of the strings (even with different brands.) NOT SO with the Schecter. Every set of strings i'v had seem balanced and the C string sounds great. I think it has something to do with the mahogany body and the walnut in neck, coupled with versatile EMG pups and the 3 band EQ.

-Weight seems really reasonable for a 6. Certainly a lot less than my old Peavey. With a wide strap I can gig this for the same amount of time as my Jag or my Fender Jazz. I don't have a scale, but would guess that it's around 10.

-Mine is in the Honeyburst finish with gold hardware. Beautiful finish with great wood grain. I'm very happy with the hardware as well. Everything feels very solid and well built.

Any other questions. Let me know.