1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sting played a what??!?!??!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redstrand, Mar 9, 2008.

1. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    So I'm trolling through youtube for playing techniques and different sounds.

I stumble across some old Police stuff...Sting using a pick is quite different from the thumb...it's the bass in this video that caught my eye.

Can anyone identify it? The shape and headstock are throwing me off a little bit.

sting1.

sting2.

2. Isn't that an Ibanez?

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Ibanez Roadstar II.

I think.

4. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It is an Ibanez Musician bass

5. god those SUCK IME

6. Yeah, Sting was dumb back then.

Edit: I think he took smart pills later.

7. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    You should see some of the others that he was playing...funky looking p-basses and some weird MM thing...guess their gear didn't always show up.

Thanks for the insight...learn something new everyday.

On some of the vids, it's a riot to see how fast he plays with a pick...even better is how fast Stewart plays when they get going fast.

8. Indeed. They were fairly nice basses from the few I've been able to play.

9. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Yep, that's an Ibanez Musician. They were pretty nice basses back in the day. (80's)

10. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    +1, these basses were awesome.

11. 23travis

23travis

Sep 11, 2007
    Vegas, Baby!
    The way I understand it is that, until The Police became famous, Sting never felt that he was a Bass Player, but more of a singer, so he didn't really care what bass he played as long as it was in tune. Later, when he got a bit of cash, he pretty much bought anything that caught his, ummm, "ear", as it were. He simply tried everything until he found what he wanted. Great idea if you got the money to do it with!

IMHO, those 80's Ibanez basses sounded great and were a great value. I knew a lot of guys in HS and college that played them (I was a drummer then:rolleyes:), and they had no trouble at all.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not just a Musician, but a fretless Musician.

13. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    those basses were beautiful. Saw him play that live...sounded great.

14. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    i have a left handed 82 roadstar II pj set up. still my favorite electric bass. always my go to bass.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Great basses....perhaps the nicest 8 string I've ever played, was in fact an old Musician!

I thought Sting was better with the Spector though.

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It'd be even funnier if he was bald.
    Fretless Bass.
    Fretless Head.

17. yea thats an fretless ibanez musician bass he also played another ibanez guess a roadstar something
    saw this before in the bass hand book by adarian ashton

Parzival likes this.
  18. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I found some listings buried in a article somewhere that said it was indeed a fretless musician and a roadstar II. The videos are amusing considering the different crowds...some are going crazy while others are just quiet...ahhh the old days of 80's rock...play fast and loud.

19. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    The Musician series basses and guitars were sweet.

20. When they were 'up & coming' in the UK, Police frequently appeared on TV with Sting playing an Upright. So I think he maybe knew more about bass than he pretended.