Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sting relic project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fresnorich, Aug 31, 2004.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    http://members23.clubphoto.com/richard872182/2529698/owner-5cf1.phtml

Okay, I realize most of you feel that any relicing on a bass is pretty cheezy. But since a lot of you think the Sting signature inlay is pretty cheezy too, I decided I didn't really have that much to lose. Yes, I know I've ruined the re-sale value of this bass. I wouldn't have done it in the first place if I was going to sell it. I absolutely love this bass and I plan to keep it forever, I just couldn't wait for it to look and feel a bit more broken in. I also never cared for the thick, plastic-feeling, poly finish. In my mind, a mid-50s P-bass should look like a beat-up workhorse. No, I'm not trying to copy Sting's actual bass. If you notice, I've actuall moded the bass quite a bit with a thumb rest I made from a solid ebony, baby grand piano key, cut in half so that it's the same height as the single-coil pickup. I originally had a Fender thumbrest installed, but found it to be WAY to high and made of cheap plastic (it made a plastic "click" sound when you touched it). I much prefer the thumbrest that I made because it's ebony, it's just the right height, it's spaced evenly from the strings, and it's long enough to allow different hand positions. I should also add that I'm a wood nut. I like to see the natural color and grain of the wood and I especially like Ash. Using various methods (Dremel tool, sandpaper, scraper, chemicals), once I got down to the actual wood, I spent a lot of time sanding and then carefully applying several coats of Tru-oil to the exposed wood. I'm very happy with the results. The bass feels more broken in like a nice pair of worn jeans. Also, the process of taking the bass apart and the finish off led me to feel much more comfortable with the instrument. It must be my imagination, but I swear it even feels lighter and sounds more resonant. It has always sounded loud unplugged, but it's even better now. My other bass is a natural/ash Stingray and they look great next to each other.

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thats a pretty cool idea you had there and it looks like it turned out pretty well. congrats. At least you didn't pay fender to do the relicing for you. That always seemed kinda pointless to me. Good job.

3. That's a good idea! :smug:
    Was the beer cold and good? ;)

Vince

4. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    You know it! SLO Extra Pale Ale (San Luis Obispo) is one of my favorite. Of course, I also like Sierra Nevade Pale Ale and my favorite right now is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Yum!

5. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Pictures in the link arent working for me, and I'd like to see them :(

I sold my Sting a while back. It sounded great, but wasnt really versatile enough, and I couldnt guarantee it enough playing time above Lakland, Ibanez Doug Wimbish and Musician etc.

Regards

Mike

6. Phew, I thought it was just me. I can't see the pics either and would love to. I am thinking of doing a relic job myself.

7. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Club Photo is driving me crazy. I'm about ready to jump ship to another hosting site. Anyone have any suggestions?

I tried to correct the problem, so let me know if it still doesn't work and I guess I'll try something else.

I do appreciate the interest and comments though.

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Picturetrail.com seems to work pretty well...

9. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
  10. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    That site worked really well. Liked it, nice one. Though I think the body could look a little more beaten up....!

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's really nice. Like someone else said, it doesn't make much sense to pay Fender to beat up your bass for you. :rolleyes:

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looks a little fake to me, but it's a good job... much better than the guy on eBay who sanded half the finish off his bass and called it relicing. The rest was still shiny!!!

Nothing beats a naturally beaten bass IMO.

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I like the bass.....I think you should also do the same to the neck:D

14. Nice job. Maybe try the finish checking (hair dryer followed by dry ice).

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Another dozen scratches and dings along the bottom and the area around the output jack would be way more realistic. On the other hand, I'd probably just strip it all down -- that ash looks great!

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1 - lots of wear where there shouldnt be that much, and still intact where there should be - above the p-ups, around the controls, the input jack, on the middle of the back (have you heard about BELT BEUCKLE RASH? most of the wear comes from that, imo), where your arm would rest, at the bridge where you pull the strings out, etc

17. mutant - what is Beuckle rash - is it contagious? is it itchy? :)

Seriously, here is Bobby Vega with his original '62 Jazz stack knob:

Now that's a true relic.

18. The buckle is just above the crotch area, so... wait... I can't remember where I was going with this...

:D

19. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    "Nice job. Maybe try the finish checking (hair dryer followed by dry ice)."

Sounds interesting. Tell me more. I did a search but didn't find anything on this. Would it still work even if the poly finish is very thick?

20. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    "On the other hand, I'd probably just strip it all down -- that ash looks great!"

Yeah, I thought about that too, and I may just end up doing that some day. It's not one piece of Ash, but it still looks great.

It's really not that hard once you get down to the actual wood. You're able to get underneath the finish and it just chips off in thumbnail size pieces, leaving the bare wood. The most difficult part was creating a smooth surface where the wood meets the finish.