Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DennyOnBass, Nov 14, 2004.

1. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    My Stingray 5 is scheduled for a respray in January, and since it's going to be apart anyway I've decided to replace the stock pickup with the Norstrand 3 coil pickup. I'm debating whether to change the preamp as well, and was wondering if that pickup can interface with any preamp or if the 3 coil pickup requires special wiring.

Does anybody out there know?

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have the MM5.2 in one of my basses. I have it wired in series and it's set to work either active with a Bartolini NTMB or passive. It works quite nicely (and sounds great). The triple shouldn't be any different.

3. How much is the Nordstrand MM 5.3?

4. DennyOnBass

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    Nordstrand doesn't have pricing up on the website for the 5.3, but I'm guessing it's somewhere just on the low side of $200.00.

5. DennyOnBass

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    Hey MSquared, what kind of change did you find in your sound when you went to the MM 5.2?

6. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Hey guys,

I just updated the MM5 pricing on my site. Keep in mind those are retail prices and the street price should be a bit less than that.

The pickup does drop right into the stock wiring. The wire codes are exactly the same. You can try it with another preamp, but the stock pre actually works really well with it. And the wiring can be really confusing if you want to use a new three way switch. I will have wiring diagrams and more comprehensive info on my new pickups website which should be ready some time in the next few weeks.

Thanks,
    Carey

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    My MM5.2 cost me $115 shipped from Jay at Blueberry Hill Bass. I had a great experience with Jay and Carey and I highly recommend going through Jay to get yours. The wiring notes that Carey included are quick and to the point, offering ways to wire it up in series, parallel, or with either of the coils on their own. I had my pickup wired up and going in no time without having to spend half an hour on Google digging up wiring schemes.

The bass I put mine into is a Modulus Flea 5 which of course meant I had to route the body since I was replacing a four string Bartolini MMC. The difference was pretty noteworthy. Wired in series I get a really great rock tone out of it. It's aggressive and middy, which is due to the series wiring (I haven't tried parallel or singlecoil yet but a switch mod is on my list of things to do sometime soon). It cuts through the mix without hardly any need for EQing either on the guitar or at the board. The F5 already sounded good with the Bartolini but replacing it with the MM5.2 was like putting a Corvette engine into an Acura NSX.

I'm actually sort of surprised Modulus would put a Bartolini into the Flea when there are pickups like this available because it sounds so much more appropriate. I love the way it sounds and I definitely recommend it.

8. Great info guys. Definitely the next thing for me, when I get money. Please post soundclips if possible :)