Stingray Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by blaire, Dec 13, 2004.

1. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Hi, Firstly I apologise if this has been done before. Simple question: What tool should I use to adjust the trussrod wheel on my SR? I tried a small screwdriver but it seemes to be quite stiff and I didnt want to risk breaking anything so I gave up. I didnt get any tools with the bass. Thanks for any help ;)
  2. Use a BIGGER screw driver.
  3. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I use a steel nail with mine (the ones used for hanging things off walls). I think it's 3 milimeters thick or so. Good luck!

4. I use a small terminal screwdriver, dia of shaft slightly less than the hole in the truss rod adjuster.

Yes they appear tight especially if you are turning them clockwise ( more tension ) note more rod tension = less neck bow, less tension = more neck bow.

You should only adjust about 1/4 turn at a time, do not stick allen key into the hole as they are brittle and will break off.
  5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I went to a local music store - they had a silver steel tool that was just perfect for spoke-wheel truss rod adjustments. Basically, the same length and width of a typical nail, only rounded and smooth on both ends to prevent scratching of the bodypaint or hand damage if you happen to slip. I guess there are really no rules to it as long as it is rugged and won't break, but some tools are better suited to the job than others for sure.

6. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I actually used the larger Allen Wrench of the 2 that were issued with the bass at the time I owned it.
  7. blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Thanks for your help, Ill give it a tweak tonight. :bassist: