Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray or Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Apr 3, 2005.

1. "If you like p-bass get stingray
    If you like jazz-get a sterling."
    - Mojo-Man

Is the above the case? & If I like P-bass sound or Feel?

Also, the stringray is the earlier model, right?

2. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Sterlings are the more recent of the two, although Stingrays ahve undergone revisions. Sterlings have a thinner neck like a Jazz, a slightly smaller body and have more settings for the Pup.

3. Well, the idea is to buy one second hand in the next year or so. Not exclusively, or obssesively, but the RATM sound is more what I'm lookign for I suppose, and also funk. So, you can see why the choice is between these too..I'm not too fussy about the neck really. Tone is more of an issue. And weight, but mostly with respect to tone. Do both of them have the maple neck and fretboard?

4. Been doing some reseacrh and it seems the stingray is for me. How much do these go for used in the states? Specifically, california?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It is true that you can get a RATM sound with a stingray (only on the self titled cd i think, that is when timmy c used a stingray, after that it was a jazz). But i have a Sterling and was playing some Rage stuff today with my drummer and you'd be surprised how great it sounded. Sterlings can sound like a Ray if wanted, and i feel a sterling can get a jazz tone better than a stingray.

6. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Stingrays and Sterlings will usually go for $750 to $1K used. I picked up and SR5 3 weeks ago for $850. $#!tty case and horrendous pickguard though, so I'm out another $35 for a PG and $65 for a case. That being said, the SR5 diplaced my MTD Grendel (original production run with wenge head stock, serial #14, yes, 14) and my 1986 P-bass at the top of the food chain. For Rock, there simply is no better bass. You may find some others that are as good, but none better. As far as funk, Stingrays and Sterlings were created for funk.

Stingrays are not light. They are not going to break your back (10.5 lbs), but they are virtually all made of ash. If you are used to playing a bass made our of basswood, it will take you a couple of weeks to get used to the weight. They have maple fingerboards. Mine does, and personally I think that maple best compliments the intrinsic tone of a Stingray.

All of this info applies to Sterling, except the weight. They are a little lighter. The tones are very similar between the two, although the Sterling a coil tap feature and hot-rodded Pup setting. These features are also found on the StingRay 5, but not the 4 as far as I know.

You will lover either one.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If ever.

When I picked that new X01 for $319 at GC a few months ago, I was just in love with it, but the weight (which is a little less than eleven pounds) is something I simply can't get used to.

Sad.

8. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    The Stingray I just bought (my first) tips the scales at just under 9 lbs. Not heavy at all; actually lighter than my G&L L-2000. Man, these basses have punch! :bassist:

9. I bought my stingray at a local for $650. I mostly see used one for around $750

10. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    I'm personally a sterling guy. It can get a Stingray sound, as well as quite a few others. It is quite versatile, not the most versatile. but more so than the SR4. Most of this is accomplished with the pickup switch. I also love the neck, if it was slightly flatter, I would die of happiness.

11. rowyco

rowyco

Sep 24, 2004
    Traverse City, MI
    Where do you see them selling for that? I've been looking for one in that price range for a long time and haven't been able to locate one.

12. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    stingray for me. for you? only you know the answer. I'll parrot what figjam et. al. have said, for Rages's first record, it's a brightly EQ'd stingray. The other albums and audioslave feature jazz basses.

as far as playability, the sterling has a slimmer, faster neck (like a jazz) and has the toggle switch to change the pickup (series, parallel IIRC). The stingray has p-bass spacing and has a "fatter" neck, more beefy for lack of a better term. Go try both and find out for yourself.

As far as US price, they usually vary depending on condition from $650-$800 used, you just have to shop around. (READ: in stores, NOT online) :)

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Is 10.5 lbs really that bad of a back breaker? My fretless is 7.5 lbs, semi-hollow featherweight, but my fretted is a killer 13 lbs, and with a good strap it really isn't that troublesome, and I have a bad back. I'd say get whichever one sounds best, unless teh weight factor really ends up being a kill-joy.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Aren't the G&L L2K's practically musical tanks, though? Every one of them I've tried has been like a wood boat anchor, albeit with a GREAT tone.

15. Ever use that bass to play 3 one hour long sets in one night?

16. I would go for a Stingray5

17. I've seen several on ebay go for that. Also look around at some local stores or the the classified section in the news pape, I saw one for $750 recently in the newspaper.

18. Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm only moving there in a year and a bit so I still got time to make up my mind! Ya, weight isn't an issue at all really (I'm a strapping young man...hehe) however, I think the jazz neck would be better...hhmmm...I don't suppose the yhave Stingray4's with Sterling necks?

19. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    My L-2000 weighs in at around 9 lbs. Not exactly a boat anchor, only slightly heavier than my Stingray. After playing the Stingray some more, I don't think I have any more need for the G&L. Why have one bass that mimics (but doesn't sound exactly like) the sound of three (Precision, Jazz, Musicman) basses when one has all three at their disposal? But that's for another thread topic!

20. Just a little thread revival. So, anyone heard or a stingray4 with a sterling neck?