Stingray Special HH Modification Idea... (pics included)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LiamJohannesson, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Heck yeah!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hell to the no!

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Just the Lane Poor!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LiamJohannesson

LiamJohannesson

Nov 23, 2015
    So I've recently had this radical idea...
    I bought a new Stingray Special HH about a week after it came out. I love the way the bass plays, however, the tone that I'm getting (especially from the neck pickup) is not really ideal for me. I know that I can switch the bridge pickup out for a Lane Poor (to get that killer Modulus tone) and I also want to switch the neck pickup out for a standard P style pickup (maybe EMG) and move it back a little. Now, I know this will require some extra routing, and I will have to fill in some space and do a custom cutout of a new single pickup pickguard. My issue is that I am not very good with electronics, and don't know of the bass's standard preamp will work well with these mods. Should I opt for something like an OBP-1? I've done a quick mockup on a stock photo of what it could look like. I'm probably also gonna find a luthier to do this for me because I don't want to screw the bass up! Let me know your thoughts... I might be crazy, this is just a late night idea haha!

Attached Files:

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would sell the Stingray and look for someone to do a custom build, or do a Warmoth project or something similar to have a bass with the electronics package that you want.

Obrad Lacarac, TC424 and dab12ax7ef like this.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Nope. Sell and get something that suits you

4. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    The stock StingRay is so well matched in its configuration. You’d be paying a lot of money for a mod that guts the heart and soul of the StingRay. You’d lose quite a bit on resale, if you care about that. I would use the stock electronics to get the sound you want. Or sale for something else.

If anything, I’d change the pickups and pre if you want, but not routing the body for goodness sakes. I think you’d regret that in the long run.

5. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Gotta concur with my fellow naysayers. You would lose a lot of value in the Stingray.

Of all the basses I've ever owned, the Stingrays are the only ones I don't have an urge to modify, other than getting a Hipshot Xtender and another pick guard, usually a pearl-type one.

Not at all saying you shouldn't try to get the sound you're looking for, but please don't desecrate the Stingray in doing so (meaning the body routing, which sounds necessary to achieve your goal).

Obrad Lacarac and dab12ax7ef like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021