Stingray vs Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Which bass do you guys prefer? I have heard that Stingrays are not very versitile but they are on a lot of music.
  2. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Cirrus,hands down and I've played more Stingray's than Cirri. -Luke
  3. I get tons of sounds out of my SR5. From what I have experienced and read about them, I would say they are very versatile.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    no contest- the Cirrus. The Cirrus has a much more moldable tone and is a better bass for a variety player in most cases.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    i played my first cirrus yesterday, and i was very impressed. normally it takes forever to find my sound with active electronics, but with cirrus i played no major adjustments were needed.

i really liked the Cirrus, but as with most comparisons it is apples and oranges.

Cirrus- exotic wood, neck through, dual pickups, small neck, extremely light

Stingray- general wood, bolt on, single pickup, don't stingrays have similar to a p neck shape, fairly heavy i have heard

also not to mention different control circuits for these basses.

never played a stingray so i cant comment

so if you are looking for a hands down winner, try them both and purchase the bass that you liked better
  6. they're totally diffirent bassesn, i play a stingray, but someday, i'll buy a cirrus 6-string
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've owned a couple of StingRays through the years. Great basses and I wish I had not gotten rid of one I had.

I now own a Cirrus. The difference between the two is enormous.

Sting Rays have a fairly unique sound, though with string choice and different amps/preamps, one can get a variety of tone with it. Awesome sound. The neck is not too thick...better than a P-Bass IMHO. Powerful pickup. Not extremely well balanced but not overly heavy either. Bolt on neck and passive electronics.

The Cirrus is absolutely beautiful. A wide variety of tonal control through any system. Active electronics with onboard preamp that has it's own low, mid and high EQ (a true EQ, not simply a boost). It only has Active bypass to passive. If your batteries are shot, you get nothing out of it. The ONLY downside to it. The quietest pickups on any bass. No hiss, no noise whatsoever...not even direct through a mixer.

The Cirrus is form fitting and totally balanced. If you let go of the neck it does not move on you. The neck (even on my 5 string) is very thin and comfortable. Excellent adjustable, solid bridge. The Cirrus just feels like an extension of your body, rather than the feel of a bass hanging off of you. Beautiful to look at, easy to play and wonderful tone!

Depending on what sound you are after or whether you play slap a lot, you can't go wrong with either one...but the Cirrus really falls into the "boutique" category, and the StingRay is more of a production line bass.

Only you can decide for sure. Play them both. If you can find a used Cirrus in great shape...that would be the best value as even a new one really should go for way more than they are sold for.
  8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Ditto !!!
    It expresses exactly what I was thinking

Indeed, even better :p
  9. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Couldn't of said it better. Theres a reason I own three Cirrii, and no Stingrays :)