Stingrays- Old Vs New

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Sep 22, 2005.

1. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    ok- so- i used to own a pre-eb stingray- but it got lost.

then- i ordered a new stingray 4 to replace it- and i've noticed some differences and i was looking for some confirmation.

what's up with the neck? the old ones seemed like they had some sort of clear glossy coating and the new ones seem like bare wood. would it be smart/possible to remove the neck and have a luthier laquer it or coat it with something?

also- it seems like the pre-eb stingrays had more of a curve to the neck- can anyone confirm this? its been 2 months since ive played my old bass- so i could just be confused or hallucinating.

am i ever going to get this thing to feel like my old stingray? do things just get better with age? am i going to have to wait another 20-something years before i like the feel of this bass?

2. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    you may also want to field this question on the eb forum...there are guys on there that acctually make the guitars on the factory floor.

on the subject of necks i have noticed that eb tend to do for an unfinished look although it is in effect selaed with a matt type gunoil finish....basically a players bass.

also i have noticed that the new rosewood necks have a wonderfull feel in comparison to my late 90s stingray...i think they are getting even better at producing quality.
  3. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well you're right about the neck finish. Most players, including myself, love the feel of the EB unfinished neck. But hey, different strokes for different folks. not to sure about the curvature of the neck (do you mean neck profile or fretboard radius) Anyway like zazz said, check out the EB forums. Those guys are so helpful sometimes, its scary.
  4. I love the neck finish, I wouldn't let a luthier (or anyone for that matter) anywhere near it!

The Ernie Ball forum is a great resource for the answers you seek.

You won't have to wait 20 years, but it will feel comfy in a fairly short period of time. Still, it won't EVER feel like your old one!

What, you took it to the mall on Saturday morning and it wandered off while you were looking in a window? :smug:

Lost? I gotta ask, how do you "loose" such a nice bass!?!?
  5. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I think the new finish on the back of the neck is better and believe me you'll get used to it.

Secondly, it will never feel like your old 'ray, yes the senority of instrument improves with age. IMO the fit, finish and quality control of EB is first class and for what its worth whenever I've A/B'd a pre versus new I'd go new every time.
    My 0.02c of course.
  6. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    yeah just to nail the point home ...if it ever needed that looking at all the previous posts ..but the only time i ever get the feeling of trading in my stingray is whenever i try out a new one...maybe i need a setup but when i get home and get the old girl out all those thoughts quickly evaporate.

the idea of taking a stingray and varnishing the neck to my thinking just boggles the mind.