Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stock software for Sony MZ707

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Feb 2, 2004.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Be careful potential Sony Minidisc buyers... looks like Sony is afraid of piracy. To the point where their software is written so that it is impossible to copy from the MD to PC using USB if you recorded the material on ANYTHING BUT the PC!

This seems incredibly stupid to me. Everyone I know who owns an MD player owns it because of its potential to make good LIVE recordings.

Of course, it is possible to do a straight playback record using the line out, but this takes far more time.

Anyone else had this problem? Are there any alternative pieces of software out there?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, I lost my minidisc. I'm buying a Sharp next time.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    There's a program called WinNMD (Net Mini Disk) which lets you select the tracks you want to record but it's still done via an audio rather than digital connection (ie. real time). It's not ideal but at least you can start it going and then come back later to find each selected track recorded separately and some space left on your hard drive!

Wulf

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    None of the portable consumer Mini Disc recorders offer digital outs. Its a "professional" feature, which means $$$. What do you expect for under $300?

Don't be too pissed, it says PC to MD only right on the package.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Actually, I found the results I got fro PC to MD pretty disappointing. I normally use LP4 mode and that sounds fine (on headphones at lowish volumes at least) when done as an audio recording but, as I recall, was pretty poor when done digitally.

Wulf

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My really old and cheap Aiwa AM-F5 MD has an optical input and I have used the digital out from my CD player via an optical cable and got very good results when borrowing CDs and recording them to MD!! ;)

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    This has been known about NetMD software from day one (about 3 years ago). It was NEVER intended to allow for uploading, the whole purpose was to help MD compete with mp3 players. The only thing returned form the MD to the PC is information that a track is being deleted, it does not actually copy the track back.

The new Sony HiMD machines arriving in April WILL allow uploading analog recordings to your PC, however.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    A USB port is a two way connection, AFAIK. It's the software that doesn't permit two-way transfer.

The MZ707 has an optical out as well, which is digital.

I'm not really pissed about it per se - just wanted to warn other potential buyers just in case.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Wrong, it has optical IN but no optical OUT.

Anyway, come this April it won't be an issue any more. The Sony HiMD machines will offer greater storage space (up to 45 hours per disc!!) than current MD plus uploading of analog recordings.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    My mistake, thanks for the correction.