1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stole this idea from someone on here.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thedudebrah, Nov 2, 2013.

1. I got this OLP Stingray copy at an auto parts swap meet (of all places) for $60 a few years ago. I've since bought a "real" MM Ray, so this has kind of sat untouched for the past 2 years. I remember seeing on here someone paint theirs all white, so I decided to copy it (sorry bud!).

E2E245E2-BA05-4826-884E-81482B925910-8719-000003B1CAA98E00_zpsb91b1e71.
    75DAFBF1-A4DC-48F8-AA61-90E945E11A1A-8719-000003B1D7CB15AE_zps697efda1.
    6DD5C165-71F9-4374-8E8F-BA8C634DD1FE-8719-000003B1DF35C0EB_zps5ead548b.

My phone can't really capture this color, but it's a pretty visually offensive fluorescent pink. I wanted white strings, but the green works too. My band has been playing in a bar with a lot of black lights and strobes, so I felt like having something fun. Still has a nice Ray sound to boot.

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    don't like the word on there but the color looks cool for black lights, nice

3. This is awesome! Really quite amazing!

4. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sweet Jesus. I LOVE IT. Just got some spray paint?

5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    back of the neck too???

6. I used rustoleum flourescent pink with some automotive clear I had left over. All spray cans. Every bit of the bass is painted, including the back of the neck. I'm gonna try it out at practice before I decide if it's too sticky or not. Nothing some steel wool couldn't take care of.

7. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Awesome. Ever wanna sell it, send me a PM. :p

8. Right on. Thanks for the compliments!

9. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Jun 9, 2013
    That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen...
    I love it.

10. Did you take it apart first, spray all the parts separately, and then put it back together, or just lean it against the garage wall and go at it?

11. Or did you dip it in a big vat of paint? It's awesome, sans the party.

12. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I dig it. The party letters and the strings bring it all together. Sweet action my man!

13. I hit the whole bass with a scuff pad and then bent up a clothes hanger and hung it in my garage from two of the tuning pegs and went at it. I hit the whole thing with a flat black automotive primer, then a white base coat and then a few coats of pink and then the clear.

Ugly and offensive was kind of my objective so I wouldn't say that the paint is perfect, but it's good enough for an ugly and offensive pink party bass lol. It'll do well at house shows and bars where beer is spilling and people are bumping into everything.

14. Yeah exactly, the metal parts etc are all coated did you rough sand, prime?

15. Not sanded, just scuffed everything with a red scotch brite. I know I'm gonna lose a lot of paint on the frets/board over time but I'm not too concerned. I didn't do any color/or clear sanding either. Just threw some paint at it. I did prime it with a flat primer to cover the original color and then a white primer over that to help the pink "pop".

16. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Love it.

17. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    It's hideous.
    Awesome! :bassist: