1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

STOLEN 1965 Rickenbacker 4005 Mapleglo

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by Jeremy27, Sep 7, 2016.

1. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Glad your Dad is physically ok. Although the stress can be dangerous. The violation of personal space is as bad, even worse, than the loss. Take care. I hope the bass turns up.

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If you haven't already, post it on RRF with photos, serial #, etc., if it comes up on the collector market,.they will know it. They have a stolen bass registry, and they hold a grudge against theives! Best of Luck.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I took the liberty of posting a link to this thread on the RRF forum, figured they will be on it like stink on a skunk if it surfaces. Better if you post photos and any other info yourself, but figured id get the ball rolling over there too.
    Rickresource Rickenbacker Forum • View topic - Stolen 1965 4005

EDIT:
    FWIW, the guys on RRF say this is actually a 1967 bass according to the serial number. Might make a difference when describing it. Just an FYI, I'm not familiar enough with Ric arcana to say if that's correct. @PaulBoyer can probably nail it down for you.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    @Jeremy27, you've gotten a lot of good advice. It really seems that the thieves had some inside knowledge. If you've had movers, contractors or cleaning service people in the house recently, they are suspects. Any visitors, partygoers, neighbors at the recent block party who might have found out about the bass? I doubt it was a stranger who followed your dad--sadly I think it's more likely someone you know or a "friend" of someone you know. And that includes the people at church who know about the bass and also know your address. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Willicious likes this.
  5. Jeremy27

Jeremy27

Sep 7, 2016
    We got it back!
    Hey gang, first off you are all amazing. This is one of the most supportive online communities I have ever been apart of. I told my dad about the positive feedback and support you were sending and it really brightened his spirits. He will be joining the Talkbass community this week.

But to our surprise the bass made its way home this morning. I will keep it at that and say that the world works in mysterious ways and positive energy makes magic happen. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers - it worked!

By the way - I found out the bass is actually a 1966 4005, 1 of only 5 known early models in existence today. Needless to say it is so good to have her home.
    Here is a pic of the shrine.
    Cheers to you all.

IMG_5609.jpg

6. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    Love happy endings...... :hyper:

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow!

That's amazing! I can't believe she came home so soon.

I wish we knew what happened, but at the end of the day, a happy ending is all that really matters.

Also, please tell your Dad not to make any "Best Bass for Metal" threads when he joins, we've had our fill ;)

DLemos likes this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yay! Sounds mysterious, but if it ended well, it can stay that way. Lovely old bass, and a rare bit of good news.

9. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Thank GOD!!! The only thing I have ever had stolen from me was an official USN flight jacket that was a gift from an uncle who used to do aircraft inspections. I can only imagine the violation your father felt to have something stolen that he was so emotionally bonded to...

10. the mojo hobo

the mojo hobo

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Two things to think about: insurance and alarms. If not already done, talk to your insurance agent. You can get a rider on homeowners insurance to cover valuables worth thousands for a few dollars a month. And I recommend Simplysafe for a good and reliable alarm system. And a video camera and recorder wouldn't hurt either. This stuff is not expensive.

11. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Glad to hear you got it back. GC in your serial number indicate that it is a March 1967 manufacture. Don't know where you're getting your dating/rarity/production numbers from, but 1967 seems to have been a big year for the production of the 4005. The RRF Registry shows 48 1967-built 4005 basses listed. One of the entries is GD1949 in California, an April 1967-built 4005 Mapleglo. I suspect this is your bass and either the registering person or you have the date code wrong. Not likely there would be two Gx1949 serials for two identical Mapleglo 4005 made a month apart. Some clarification would be helpful to you, your father, and the registry database.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021