Stomp Under Foot New Pedal: Dirty Rooster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Laurent, May 10, 2012.

1. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Matt at Stomp under Foot (SUF) just release his own take on the Colorsound Jumbo Tonebender and the pedal came in the mail today.

Here are my first impressions.

It's no secret that I have been a huge fan of SUF Civil War Muff. In fact after going through an insane pile of fuzz pedals, the Civil War pedal came out on the top with the Swollen Pickle and the Fuzzrocious Grey Stache. These three represent my current best of the best and I like them for different reasons and different amp pairing.

I was pretty excited when Matt announced he had been working on a Jumbo Tonebender. I liked Barber's take on the Jumbo Tonebander (it's one of the three fuzz flavor available on a superb pedal called Trifecta) but I have no direct experience with vintage versions of this pedal.

Anyways after an hour of testing or so I can attest that the new Dirty Rooster is a fabulous pedal. Long story short, I like it as much if not more than the Grey Stache and the Civil War. I did not test the Swollen Pickle against it because the Swollen Pickle is a completely different animal.

Compared with the Stache or the Civil War, this pedal shows a massive low end. It's easy to beat the Grey Stache in this department because the pedal shines in its mids but beating the Civil War which has massive bass left me amazed. The gain is not as high as the CW but still quite muscular. The Dirty Rooster has a quality of distortion that is gritty but it stays relatively clean and focused. The Civil War has more complexity in its voicing but having a more frontal tone works in favor of the DR. I kept thinking that the DR pairs really well with bass, I would expect this pedal to perform really well live because it capable of translating of the dynamics of my playing without getting it lost in the distortion. In fact because of its focused tone, this pedal is really articulate.

The tone correction is amazing and goes from the most bassy tone to full on highs. I have noted this on all SUF pedal but it's particularly vivid here because this pedal has so much bass. It is also usable throughout the range of gain from minimum to full on. I suspect it compressed a tad more than the CW which gives it that rocking sound; it's broad yet controlled.

My guitar player tried this pedal and it sat in between his Civil War and his SUF Ram's Head tone wise. It was not as complex and gritty as the Civil War and had less clean hights than the Ram's Head. The Ram's Head is amazing on guitar but does not really apply to bass; it chops too much of the bottom. For a guitar player wanting a single fuzz, the RW is in the middle of these two pedals tonally.

Overall I am really impressed by the Dirty Rooster it worked very well in front of my Markbass F500. I will be testing it with my SVT-CL in the next few days and expect it will perform very well as well.

Many pedal builders are known for one strong pedal. Matt continues to put out a steady stream of increadible pedals.
    I can't wait for the Red Menace to come out. Matt mentioned that he changed the tone stack of this pedal and that the new version will be bass friendly. That's another thing I like about the guy he will tell you what works on bass and what does not. Many boutique guys will tell you anything sounds good on bass to get the business even if it's marginal.

Price wise SUF pedals remain incredibly well priced for the amount of tone you get. Some boutique builders (Wren and Cuff in particular) have increased their price to insane levels and the pedals don't always deliver the goods.
    SUF pedals have reached near record level price on Ebay and this is another indicator of how hot these pedals are.

I am not affiliated with SUF and did pay for the Dirty Rooster so I hope my review will be seen as impartial.

For a great fuzz that delivers tons of bass and a compact, gritty tone and tons of dynamics and articulation look no further than the Dirty Rooster!

The Red Rooster - Keep everything in the barnyard upset in every way. Willie Dixon

2. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    I have unit #2 off the line from Matt.

I can vouch for everything that you have said so far. Sadly, I have not been able to gig with it or use it in a live setting with my bigger bass rig.

3. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Mine is number 5; the box says number 4!
    Thanks for the kind words - good to read I'm not too far off.

4. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    How does it compare/ contrast with the Jumbo setting on the Trifecta?

5. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I would say it has a lot more bass and more vivid tones. That being said I would need to have them side by side. I may borrow a Trifecta from my guitar player to answer that very question.

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Do you have any clips? I'm getting back into Texas rock (ZZ Top, SRV, etc) and need a Tone Bender-like fuzz that plays well with other pedals.

7. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Laurent,

Great review! Matt's Civil War is my favorite pedal on my board. I'd love to hear a clip of the Civil War and the Dirty Rooster side by side if you have the ability/time.

Thanks again for the review.

8. Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Unfortunately I don't really have the ability to record them.

Tried The Dirty Rooster in front of an Ampeg SVT-CL head driven by a Musicman Stingray 4H Ball Family Reserve and it sounded great. This pedal has so much bass that my 1x15 Beyma Driver was almost crying for mercy!

With this confirguration the pedal seemed to cut through very well. I did not A/B it with the Civil War under this configuration but it seemed a bit more aggressive to my ears.

A great pedal that does not disapoint. Its strong point is the capability of delivering a big amount of bass and fuzz while keeping things really articulated.

9. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

May 21, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    hells yeah! im gonna order one friday.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021