Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stoner Metal/ Stoner rock

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Anyone a fan of this type of music? This genere is something I newly discovered. Awsome bands I have discovered include:

The obsessed

High on Fire

Electric Wizard

Karp

Mastadon

Please list some more good bands for me to check out.

2. its my all time favorite style of rock, and your list is a great start, surrounded by thieves and dopethrone havent been out of my cd player for very long lately. i would surely add clutch to that list, nebula, fu manchu, galactus 77, dozer, sleep and kyuss. check out stonerrock.com and stonerrockchick.com to get a huge resource of all music stoner related

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Why is Mastodon stoner metal?

4. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Their first 2 albums have some very weird and trippy moments to them via their guitar riffs and sound cuts etc. They have very very slow super heavy parts, trippy artwork, very busy drumming like you hear in bands like high on fire etc.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I just call most of that stuff rock and roll or metal.

Some of the cream of that crop are: Isis (ambient metal), Clutch (rock and roll), Yeti (prog metal), Mastodon (odd time metal), Kyuss (rock and roll), Keelhaul (odd time hardcore/metal), Mondo Generator (punkish hard rock), Mouth of the Arcitect (ambient metal), and Pelican (industrial/ambient metal)

I have heard good things about Monster Magnet, but I haven't checked them out yet.

Also, you can start with the originators of the genre, Black Sabbath. I dig the Ozzy years, but that is all I own by them.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    All stoner/acid casualty bands are like a delicate flower in mid-bloom, gentle and innocent waiting to be incinerated by the hydrogen bomb echoplex that is COMETS ON FIRE.

I suppose they don't count thought, being that if anyone were to listen to them whilst stoned (especially their first album) they would no doubt be driven insane and begin a murderous rampage that would leave the nation gripped like canary in the cold, harsh trash compactor of fear.

Comets on Fire. are. tremendous.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im preparing to embark on a journey into stoner/sludge rock that will involve purchasing a butt-load of albums.

So far I've only been exposed to Kyuss, QOTSA, Clutch, and Mastodon (though Im not sure they really fit the label) but Im digging it all way to much to stop.

8. You could Try "Catherdral" (Doom/Death metal)

Also if you want metal about getting stoned you could try "Exit 13" (albums include "Don't spare the Green Love" and "A Few More Hits" :p ) think Mr Bungle without the jazz bits

As for rock you might be able to find some "Tumbleweed" aussie pub band they have the stoner vibe

9. Well... You did need a lighter to get into a Journey concert...

:p

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Obsessed are amazing... I'd also second the Cathedral and Monster Magnet mentions.

My fav MM album is "Dopes to Infinity" they did the hippie thing full on with a better production style.

Stoner Rock is a pretty lame term, it's just the psycadellic rock revival more or less.. insert a bit more heaviness.

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I prefer to call it Fuzz Rock over Stoner rock because most people frown or judge the music prematurely if you call it Stoner anything.

Definately look up Kyuss, Unida, On a Pale Horse, and Black Lamb for the goods

Oh and my band ain't half bad either :bag:

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I suppose it'd take entirely too much effort for you to do a friggin search, huh?

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know, for the longest time, I thought noone around here like Stoner... now there are like 3 threads going on it at once. :D

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    It is becoming more popular as of late because it hasn't been tainted by the masses yet so you still get fresh ideas...I hope it never gets too popular.

Monster Magnet has been the most successful band in this genre and if Black Label Society counts they are just as popular if not moreso.

15. + 450 billion!!!!!!!!!

Comets on Fire are probaly the best stoner band, they destroy anything that moves with a sonic wave of sound.

Clutch is a close second, they rock hard.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Unless Queens of the Stone Age is counted as stoner rock. I dare say they are getting more attention than MM did.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think QOTSA have had three videos (No One Knows, Go With The Flow, and Little Sister) and I can only remember two from Monster Magnet (Space Lord*, Heads Explode)

*not 100% about that one.

18. The album "Dopespoker" by Sleep is soul-crushingly heavy! Matt Pike from High on Fire was in the band. Sabbath x 1000 = Sleep.

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

Mr. Ed or Mr. Special. OT is for non-music discussion. You have been here a bit and should make note of what forum too post in.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was watching Viva La Bam, and I noted that they were playing a lot of Monster Magnets new album.