1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Stoner" Rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WilemT97, Mar 31, 2013.

1. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm starting a "Stoner" Rock in September. I hate the term "Stoner Rock" but dunno what else to call it so hey ho! I have a MIM Fender Precision Bass with D'Addario Chromes on, will this work for the sound I want? I know I need a tube/valve amp but is there anything else? Think Queens Of The Stone Age, Eagles Of Death Metal and Kyuss sort-of sound! Thanks for any opinions you have!

2. I suggest cabs loaded with 15" or 12" drivers, no HF horn (or dimmed down), tube head cranked up (some of today's SS amps should qualify as well), P-bass and you should be right there. Maybe nickel rounds would be better choice if the Chromes don't cut it in a band context but that remains to be seen.

3. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I vote for the nickels as well. Not overly bright, but with more bite than the chromes for sure. I tried out lots of strings in my early days and the nickel varieties were the ones I always came back to.

As for the cabs/heads, I think you could get away with just about any configuration really, the head will likely be much more important for the overall sound. Tubes are nice. The Genz Benz Streamliners are pretty cool little monsters. Nice balance between tube/ss and at a reasonable price point to boot. Keep in mind though that stoner rockers were using (and a lot still are )whatever gear they could get their hands on. Gear wasn't that important, which I think is true for most genres really.

If you need something to get some good fuzz a Big Muff or maybe the Tech 21 VT Bass would be a couple to look into.

4. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    Thanks guys, great to have more opinions than just mine. Thanks for the Nickel Roundwound string suggestions, I never thought about Nickels! I shall maybe look at a fuzz pedal to complement my amp just until I win the lottery ;-)
    Cheers, Wilem.

5. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    You don't necessarily NEED tube amps, you can get away with using a few solid state. Definitely look into get a fuzz pedal.

6. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I think chromes can have enough bite to make it in that context. the trick to getting an an agressive bite out of even old flats is to fiddle with the EQ around 1.5 kHz. a little boost there brings out the clank and attack that will give your notes definition amidst all the distortion. 12's and 15's seem to respond well to a little boost in that region. but rounds can absolutely work as well. all about feel preference.

7. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    I purchased a Bass Big Muff last night on Ebay, saw it had a "Dry" Switch that mixes the fuzz with my dry sound. Would that be the best setting for what I want? What should I set my EQ on my Amp to?
    Cheers, Wilem.

8. Fuzzbassian

Fuzzbassian

Jan 12, 2012
  9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Try different things until you find a sound you like.

Start with the EQ on your amp flat and leave out the Big Muff until you find a good tone without it.

10. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    I've just subscribed to the Stoner/Doom Thread and its f*cking beautiful..Rickenbackers everywhere! ;) and Thanks, I shall do that when it arrives! :D
    Cheers, Wilem.

11. Kazz3lrath

Kazz3lrath

Jan 5, 2012
    If you're looking for a Kyuss like sound fuzz and roundwounds are a must. Listen to something like Om, or Goatsnake to see what I'm talking about.

12. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    I found out about Om last night and I love them, because I'm Buddhist also! But thanks for your advice!
    Cheers, Wilem.

13. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    If you are using a fuzz pedal, tube or solid state doesn't matter as much. If you are overdriving the head itself, it makes more of a difference. IMHO

14. WilemT97

WilemT97

Dec 26, 2011
    I will be using a Big Muff through a solid-state Ashdown rig!

15. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Check out this amazing psych blues band from here in SLC called Dwellers, the bass players tone is amazing-He's using an Orange Terror Bass 1000 through a 2x10+2x15 custom setup-His Rick is strung up with EB 45-105's and his tone kills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARE1kbILwpo

:ninja:

16. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I would run not walk to the Stoner Doom thread. While it's not my genre, there are a material number of Tb'ers over there that really know their stuff, and will offer all of the intelligent, objective commentary that you can handle.

I read the thread regularly and those guys have saved my checkbook from taking a beating more than once.

Take a bag of chips with you or those mini chocolate donuts as a peace offering. :D

17. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah

I'll take a bag of those Seattle police department "Stoner warning" Doritos!

18. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Ampeg SVT and the Purps