1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Storage tips...please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Essthreetee, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    So, my gigging and band days are done (for the next few years anyhow) but I am still gonna be playing and practicing as much as I can.
    My question is...for the bass that I won't be using to practice with (but don't want to get rid of either) what is the best way to store it (BTW it is a Neck Through...Ibanez BTB1305).

I plan on putting it in a case, but do I detune the strings?
    Do I lay the case flat under the bed or stand it up in the closet?
    Do I put in one of those moisture sucking packets that come in things (yes I can't think of the name)?

Any other tips?

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I just keep my basses that I don't use in the bag or case standing up. I never detune the strings but every once in a while, at least once a month I take it out, tune it, and make neck adjustments if necessary.

3. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    If you have an active bass be sure to remove the battery before long term storage. Nothing worse than runing a perfectly good bass with a stinking $1.00 battery that has corroded and leaked acid all over everything. Also if you stand a case up, make sure it's completely upwright not leaning at an angle. That leaning thing can eventually mess up the hinges and latches of a hard case (especially those typical tolex covered wood cases).
    As noted, take it out and tune it once in a while, at least several times a year. When you take it out inspect it for odor or meldew and tune it up and check for fret buzz (adjust neck if necessary). Also, if you are storing a bass try to store it in normal living environment such as a bedroom or closet or under a bed. A high humidity location like an unfinished basement or garage is not good.
    If you have infestation or rodent problems check the bass much more frequently. I was responding to a craigslist bass sale some time ago and when I went to look at the bass it looked ok but smelled kinda funny. Looked at the case and it had a hole chewed in it from a mouse and the case reeked of mouse urine when opened - no sale.

4. Davejs

Davejs

Dec 21, 2011
    Bounce fabric sheets in cases will keep mice out for about 3 months.

5. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    You are thinking of either an oxygen absorber or an H20 Absorber.. It won't hurt to throw them in..

6. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    1) Yes!

2) Doesnt matter.

3) {dessicant pack} wouldnt hurt, but not really necessary unless theres super high humidity where it will be stored.

7. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    France
    Why? Is not a better idea to keep the tension, to avoid as many changes as possible and check it a few times per year?

8. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Don't detune the strings.

9. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    I have a good storage place, ship it to me! :D

well, as about topic... GBassNorth gave you complete answer I guess. I'd add more details to humidity part. Even if you store it in bed-room or any other room in your house where it's not garage or basement, you should still make sure that the temperature is always balanced and constantly roughly same in the room. Especially if you're going through from radically hot summer to the ice cold winter.

10. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Good point and especially essential on hollowbody basses! Lot's of humidity and temperature swings will cause the wood to contract and expand. Over time this can cause "checking" or hairline cracks in the paint or finish on a solid body or worse yet failed glue joints in hollowbody basses. I also think there are two camps on the detune or tune thing. I prefer to keep my stored basses and guitars in tune. I also don't have any issue with storing basses on a hanger or stand as long as you keep them clean (don't let layers of dust build up), don't store them where sunlight or bright UV lights could shine on them and use a hanger or stand that suspends the bass from the headstock vs a stand that cradles the bass body and lets the neck lean against a bracket. The hanger type stands keep the neck in suspension vs a cradle type stand that forces the headstock to support a percent of the weight of the bass and possibly causing a warped headstock or neck.

11. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Under the bed in a case is fine. If the temperature swings are not uncomfortable for you, the bass will be fine. There is no need to detune it, but it won't hurt it. Low humidity is worse than high humidity, so don't worry about silica gel unless everything else in your bedroom is dripping wet and covered with mildew.