1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Storing A Bass - Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agreene88, Feb 21, 2013.

1. agreene88

agreene88

Feb 21, 2013
    burlington, vt
    Hey guys. Just a quick question on storing my new Ibanez BTB675m. Just curious as this is my first neck-through bass, if there is anything different I should do before storing it for a month. Normally it hangs on my wall in between gigs, but I will be out of town and am wondering if I should detune it slightly etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Yeah... You might want to de-tune it a bit to relieve some tension.
    Put it in its case and leave it in a temperature controlled room. Or leave it on a stand. You should be fine. Avoid extreme temps.
    Dont leave it out in the cold!
    Baby your baby...

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Do not detune it unless you also loosen the trussrod. The trussrod is there to counterbalance the string tension. If you loosen the strings, you need to slacken the trussrod the corresponding amount or you will create an imbalance.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Don't detune. Just put it in the case

5. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Why would you need to detune or loosen the truss rod? Do you detune and loosen truss rod everytime you dont play it? Seriously put it in the case in a controlled enviroment like your home. I would not detune or loosen the rod, that would do more harm than good.