1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strange IE problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Apr 1, 2006.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    About every other startup of my computer (from hibernation mode) my Explorer browser will lock up. If I completely restart the computer, it will run fine. Any clue to why it keeps doing this? I would uninstall/reinstall the program, but I don't want to lose all of my favorites menu.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
  4. Yep, Mozilla.

+1

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    +1039w309-

It's amazing.

6. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I knew somebody would post Mozilla; I already have Firefox on my computer as a "backup" to IE, but frankly I don't like it! I seem to get more popups with Mozilla and it doesn't work with my "high-speed" NetZero dial-up connection.

Come on, isn't there some kind of cool registry entry I can make to get IE happening again?!:D

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Fine. If you want to be rough like that...

Firefox + Adblock Plus extension.

My best suggestion would be never use IE ever again, its just too troublesome. Remove it from the registry? :p

8. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Opera

sorry, i couldn't resist :bag:

9. When Explorer gets jammed up, hit ctrl/al/delete, go to processes, end the process called iexplore and relaunch Explorer. There you go.

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    there is nothing strange about problems with Internet Explorer. :)

have you tried the full Mozilla browser?

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Try Opera or Mozilla.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    IE is the best web browser that there is. You just have to keep it fully updated and it runs 100% fine.

13. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    This is exactly what I do, but it won't relaunch. I have to restart the computer to get it going again.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Did you get rid of your spyware, delete all of your old cookies, temp files, etc? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? If you've tried all of this and are still having problems, is it really worth having to restart your computer every time instead of installing another browser?

15. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    spybot search and destry and ad-aware are your friends...

16. Which OS\version of I.E. are you using?

Just guessing If you have been using it for a few years without a reformat you may be due. I'm no PC pro, but from what I understand files simply get corrupt or get lost and Windows should be reformatted from time to time to keep it up to snuff.

As far as saving your favorites, you should be able to do that with the back up built into windows. When you start the back up program you should be able to save "my documents" which includes all your favorites. Mater of fact when restoring a back up file after reloading windows, my doc's was the only one that I was successful with. Everything else like music files I would put on a CD or DVD.

If you are running XP Home and don't have the back up program listed, post back if you are interested. It is on the XP Home disc and can be added.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hear IE will be less entagled with explorere in the future, that will be a good thing.

18. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Opera is the answer...

19. The biggest mystery in the world...why anyone still uses IE...the hacker's best friend :)

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I use it becuase its the most reliable browser, with the most efficient interface.