1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strange Issue with Active Electronics!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Doley50, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    Hello,

I purchased a used Ibanez SR405 5 String bass from Guitar Center, of course I had no problems until after the 30 days
    ( how does that happen? ) Anyway the problems started to happen slowly.
    At first every few days the volume would just drop after maybe a 1/2-1 hour of playing and it would only last a few minutes then return to normal.
    Then it started to happen more frequently every time I played, but usually after a 1/2 hr or so. Then the bass started to produce cracking sounds, I first through my cab was blown because the sound was so bad.
    I read a post about using Detoxit and gave that a try, my pots were less noisy, but again after about a half or so the same thing, loss of volume and cracking sounds.
    This would happen and last anywhere from 1 min to 10 min then back to normal, and then after a bit back again.
    I did bring it back to Guitar Center and their guitar tech replaced the out put jack, of course he played it for a few mins in the store and it sounded find, I used it at a gig the following day and it appeared to be fixed, then a few days latter it is starting up again!
    I am going back to Guitar Center and I am going to try to return the bass, even if I can get a store credit I'll be happy, I need a bass to play, but I just do not understand as to why I am having this problem.
    I do not want to bring it to a repair shop because who knows what it wrong with it!

John

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Sounds like the battery is dying. First thing is to replace the battery with a good quality alkaline one.

Job

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You changed the battery, right?

4. Try a new battery first!

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but you should try changing the battery.

6. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    if it is the battery, which it sounds like it is, I'd be pretty irritated that I took it to a text who didn't even think for a second to look into it

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I can't believe that after 5 replies no one has suggested that you replace the battery!!

The battery is worth a try but this sounds more like a bad solder joint somewhere on the preamp to me. It should be fixable but I can't tell you how hard it would be to find it.

Good luck, I hope the battery fixes it.

Ken

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    New battery?

9. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Maybe we should think outside the box here. Perhaps try a new battery?

:smug:

Seriously though, the symptoms you describe sounds like a battery dying. Batteries tend to slightly recover their voltage when they "rest" for a bit. That's probably why it works for a short while before dying again. the cracling noise is probably from the preamp clipping since the supply voltage to it is too low.

10. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    You guys are joking right? There are no batteries on an electric bass!

I have put in a new battery and that was the first thing that the tech tested, The two funny things I did notice, was the lead wire ( Red ) for the battery inside the cavity was cut and put back together, I can not remember if it was just twisted together or if the ends had solder on them, but there was masking tape on the splice.
    Also, after spraying Detox-it in the pots, I plugged it in with the cover off and noticed the per-amp made some crackling sounds when moving it, so perhaps as mention there is some lose soldering going on.
    The good news is Guitar Center gave me a full store credit for what I paid, and of course the GC salesperson played my bass for a good 15 mins and nothing!!
    So I am buying a new bass, but I will alway be curious as why this was happening, but I need a bass to play and I did not want to put money into this bass.
    Thank You for your help!

P.S.

I almost hate to admit, the battery that I did put in was a CVS brand battery and not a Duracell or Energizer, I have read that you should not use off-brand batteries. I wondering if this could have been the problem?

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    An off brand battery may be a bad battery but it won't hurt the bass. And if the problem was the same before and after the battery swap it was not the battery. If the problem only occurred after the battery swap then the battery itself may have had a poor internal connection, or the battery connector fit it poorly, or ....

Ken