Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange vibrations

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pf.piccolomini@, Feb 3, 2006.

1. pf.piccolomini@

pf.piccolomini@

Feb 3, 2006
    Hi everybody! I'm a new member and this is my first post...

I have a cheap Jim Reed jazz bass, and everytime I play it i hear and feel strange neck vibrations. The sensation is like you'd have something not properly fixed, that starts vibrating and making noise as you pluck the strings (expecially between the fifth and the 12th fret). I can't figure out what it is, everything seems to be alright. Could it be a bad bridge? Or what else? Any suggestion?

Thanks!

PF

2. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    sounds like your neck is is bending back try adjusting the truss rod first about 1/4 turn clockwise and see what happens

3. pf.piccolomini@

pf.piccolomini@

Feb 3, 2006
    I tried, but the problem persists...:scowl:

What if I mount thicker strings? .45 instead of .40? Could it work?

PF

4. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
  5. pf.piccolomini@

pf.piccolomini@

Feb 3, 2006
    Thank you very much! I really want to get rid of this problem, I like this bass and I wish it could work right...

PF

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It sounds like the truss rod is loose. Or worse, broken. Follow the setup guide that was posted and see if that helps.

7. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    If his neck is bending back, also known as backbowing, why would you tell him to turn the rod clockwise? Righty=tighty Lefty=loosey. If the neck is backbowed you need to add relief. Turn the rod counter-clockwise to add relief, clockwise to straighten the neck.

8. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    It could be that a nut slot isn't filed correctly. Or a tuning peg coming loose, not from the bass but the actual peg itself, in my case at least.

9. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    It could be tuning peg, truss rod, or god forbid, the string tensioner.

10. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    its probably just sympathetic vibrations in the string behind where you are fingering. If it does'nt come through the amp don't worry about it

11. pf.piccolomini@

pf.piccolomini@

Feb 3, 2006
    Well, actually the problem is not transmitted to the amp... I'll try to convince myself not to care about it, hoping something like the truss rod, tuners and stuff isn't broken, although (I know you guys know exactly what I mean!) daddies get mad when the baby is not in perfect health!

Thanks everybody for your suggestion, they're all precious!

PF