Strap locks: what kind, if at all?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by bassdrummer, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Nothing, just stock strap buttons and a conventional strap

7.8%
  2. Dunlop

44.4%
  3. Schaller

26.7%
  4. A washer

16.7%
  5. Extra large diameter strap buttons

6.7%
  6. Strap with built-in locking mechanism

3.3%
  7. Other type of strap lock system

14.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bassdrummer

bassdrummer Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Visalia, California
    Do you use strap locks? Strap locks that you screw into your bass? Straps with a built-in locking mechanism? A washer? Extra large diameter strap buttons? Some other locking system? Or nothing at all but stock strap buttons and your strap?

2. I literally have every combination you list. On most recently acquired instruments I haven’t changed anything and use original strap buttons and a good strap. I need to pick up a pack of washers since I haven’t has a Grolsch in ages.

3. bassdrummer

Jul 3, 2006
    Visalia, California
    I have a brand new American Professional Precision arriving this week. I have always used Dunlop strap locks, but I feel hesitant to remove the stock strap buttons. Thinking about the “washer method” that I have heard of people doing — how does it work?

4. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Washers - you can use the Grolsch ones or get some at the hardware store. Put your strap on your bass as you normally would and then slip the washer over the strap button. It works perfectly well but it’s not as convenient as using the Dunlops (getting the washers on over the strap button can sometimes be a chore and it’s not the kind of thing you want to have to do when you are rushing to get on stage).

wraub, eriky4003 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  5. bassdrummer

Jul 3, 2006
    Visalia, California
    . Great explanation, thanks! Anyone know approximately what size/hole diameter washer? I think I have have some old Fender strap buttons somewhere that I could take to Lowe’s with me.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  6. bassdrummer

Jul 3, 2006
    Visalia, California
    Just saw these at Sweetwater’s site...same “washer” concept, right? And there’s financing available!
    16170-DEB-167-C-4-C48-8-BF8-CBA4-DB92-AA5-F.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  7. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have Loxx strap locks on all my basses except one, which has Dunlop. They are the best IMO.

claudel likes this.
  8. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    Never heard of Loxx. Just watched the videos. They look cool. How to they hold up over time? I really like the new Schaller S locks, but might want to try these?

9. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I’ve used them for 8+ years. No issues.

10. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    move read reports of the part that attaches to the strap has failed a few people because the diameter of the outer part of the lock is too small and it doesn’t grab well enough. This makes me nervous as I’ve never had a Schaller fail while using blue thread lock, and the new design of the Schaller S seems to address the need for the thread lock.

11. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Never had em, never used em but everytime someone wants to "try" my bass I wish I did! Lol

bassdrummer and TN WOODMAN like this.
  12. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yep, same thing - just with Fender branding.

13. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I’ve tried getting answers to this question:

people here claim sometimes their strap locks fail.

When strap locks fail, what is the cause?

Does something break, loosen up???

14. Ruknrole

Ruknrole Professional Amateur Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2018

Drifter8230 likes this.
  15. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    As always, YMMV. I find Loxx the surest on-off strap locks. With others, I’ve experienced some challenges with engagement — they need to be lined up cleanly for the insert to engage. Loxx is very forgiving on the engagement. As for strength, the Loxx attachment is used on auto and boat tonneau covers. More than a dozen basses and thousands of shows and rehearsals, and never a moment when I felt my strap was unsecured.

I’d rate Dunlop’s second, and their benefit is that they are easy to find and can be used with a strap not sporting a strap lock. That said, I’ve had a few occasions where these did not engage fully.

LowWay likes this.
  16. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I use washers. They are cheap and work well for me. Each bass has its own strap the (cheapy webbed kind) and never gets removed, so the awkwardness and extra time to slip a rubber washer over the button doesn't bother me. I have straps that have not been removed from instruments for over 10 years.

mcnach and eriky4003 like this.
  17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I use Dunlops and have only had "end-user" issues where I didn't fully engage once in over 20 years. Instant "mojo", but again, my rushing caused it. My main issue now is that all of my straps have them, so when a NBD occurs, (which is now a thing of the past), I have to install a set of buttons before I can strap it on!

-robert

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I’ve been using Dunlop dual designs on everything for about 17 years and haven’t had any issues.

The old Schallers had a nut that would slowly loosen in its own and if you weren’t paying attention could cause the unit to come right off the strap. Apparently it’s been fixed with a newer model but I haven’t tried them yet.

Dunlops can “fail” if you don’t properly insert the holding disk into place until it clicks. It’s a real pain in the ass to get it to lock in there if you have a thick strap (and especially if you’re not using needle nose pliers) so I can see how some folks get it most of the way in place and have it fall apart later.

19. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

The only ones I ever liked were Dunlops, had trouble with Schallers and one or two other styles I tried. But then I found a problem with Dunlops too: the hole in the button that the screw has to go through is so narrow that the only screw I could find that would fit through it was only 1" long, maybe a fraction more. In all my combing through hardware stores I never found a longer screw that could fit through there.

Over time and moving around, that short screw would wriggle and loosen in the wood and gradually start to rip loose (if you aren't moving enough to make it wriggle, you don't need a strap lock anyway). So I effectively went from worrying that the strap would come off the button, to worrying that the screw would rip out of the wood at a bad moment and tear the whole thing out, button and all. I did several dowel-and-glue repairs in my basses until I asked myself why I was bothering using the strap lock in the first place.

These days I just use a rubber washer (like those Fender ones) to hold the strap on a little more securely, and it's been all I need. And I do move around quite a bit on a gig.

Troy Eggen likes this.
  20. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    “New” Schallers (S-Locks) are bomb-proof and so much nicer/better quality than Dunlop’s, to my eye/feel. If you plan on using same strap with multiple basses, this is the way to go, IMO.
    If you keep your straps on your basses, washers would be much more economical. But I wouldn’t think twice about by the the S-Locks. They are awesome.

Ruknrole likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021