Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

straplock depreciation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sippy, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey guys. I was thinking of getting Schaller strap locks (I love them) on my '73. I have them on every other bass and they are fantastic! My main question is to they degrade the bass? Will the value be affected all at? I'm going to keep the originals so I can swap them, but I was just curious if they did or not. Thanks! :)

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

man, everything will devaluate your bass. I mean, dont even look at it!! Now seriously, you were joking right?

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    It would be worth a lot less when it falls off your strap because you did'nt install straplocks.

Keep the originals and put 'em back on if you ever need to ;)

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No. Unless of course you put them on the pickups, on the front of the horn or some other weird place;)

5. +1........you should screw them into the middle of the neck, bout the only place that wont depriciate it

right guys?

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Okay good.. Well I know some people go nuts over "not original" I don't really see me ever getting rid of this bass... but it crossed my mind. Do you on some certain classic cars without the original shift knob he depreciates a ton??? I thought it may be one of those situations.

7. i understand what you mean, but if you have all the origional parts, and you put everything back before you decide to sell it theres nothing wrong.

i know what you mean about the cars though, i couldnt believe that on that car auction on speed channel, an all origional with a replacement carb went for like 6k less than an all origional

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Keep the originals in a baggie in a safe place. Either reinstall them or include them if you ever choose to sell the bass. It's an entirely reversible modification that nobody would give you any load of junk over.

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Some straplocks (I'm not sure if it's the Dunlops or the Schallers, or both) have larger diameter screws than the originals on some basses. In this case, when you install them they will make the screwhole bigger, so when you go back and put the originals back on you may have to use something (like toothpicks) to make the original screws fit nice and tight again. This was my experience with some straplocks that I used many years ago.

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    ^ this is true.

11. A solution to that problem is to use the stock screws for the new straplocks. ;) I say stop worrying about resale value and just play it!

12. Dunlops have larger screws.

13. +1000. Don't do it!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Why? I find that the strap button holes wear out over time anyway. This is considered to be the "proper" repair for such a problem.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Don't do what, use straplocks?

If anyone is truly worried about a larger strapbutton screw hole affecting resale value vs. holding a bass securely, they're probably not playing the bass anyway.

The "ONLY" reason it might affect resale value is if you put a screw in that's a larger diameter than the original strapbutton. I've never seen it but I guess some enterprising person could instal a drawer pull handle as a strap holder;)

Or a wine corkscrew. A slightly larger hole should be a complete non issue.

And smaller OEM screws don't work v ery well with straplocks that require larger screws. They don't typically hold as securely as the screws they're designed to use.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Install the straplocks.

P.S. Consider the Dunlop Dual Design straplocks if you haven't already! I prefer those to the Schallers.

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Buyer: Nice bass, but I am concerned about this very large chunk of finish missing from the lower part of the body. It looks as if the bass bass been dropped.

Seller: Did I mention it has the original strap buttons?

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

As do I.