Straplocks don't fit thru strap - where to cut strap?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mikeddd, Feb 19, 2010.

1. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi all,

I bought some Schaller Straplocks and a nice Levy's strap. The hole in the strap is too small for the straplocks; obviously the strap needs to be cut but where?

Do I cut off the "wings" (red circles) or do just make a small slit so the opening can spread out more (yellow circle)? Or do I do something else?

I know this may seem to be a dumb question, but it's a $50 strap and I don't want to dork it up. Thanks!!

strap.JPG

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I usually trim them, where you have the red circles, the Levy's in general are not cut big enough, by default for the schallers. It won't matter once you cut those, the washer will cover it.

3. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi Jason,

Thanks much for the advice. :) How much do I cut off? Just enough so that the opening sits flush around the barrel? Thanks again.

4. Aye thats what I did, been 7 years now with no problems!

5. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    I had the same issue; I cut the "red circles". Use a razor and/or small scissors. Not that great looking when you're done, but the washer will cover it...

6. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks Oopsdabassist & Jodaka; it's good to know I didn't get a crazy oddball strap and that the fix worked for you.

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah, just enough to get it to sit flat. Scissors or a razor will work, just be careful if you use a razor, they've been known to cut flesh on accident more than scissors

8. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks, Jason. I don't have a big pair of scissors so I'll give the razor a shot. I'll cut one layer at a time and keep my fingers out of the way. :oops:

9. heavychevy

heavychevy

Feb 11, 2008
    Central MA
    I had to do the same thing with my strap (same one)...just try not to cut into the stitching, take as little as possible out of it. I no longer use strap locks like this though.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    It'll extend you playing time if you do ;)

11. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Yep, I know the stitching is what "holds the hole together." I'll be careful. :)

Side note: I'm going to be very careful w/the razor. My playing time has already been limited due to me not being careful with the soldering iron a few days ago. :eek: I was soldering pup wires to a pot when I looked up to see what my son was doing. That was a mistake. :oops:

12. Fastaris

Fastaris

Dec 24, 2009
    I usually dont cut them, the washer will squish down the extra material "usually"

13. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    Ditto, I tuck those wings back down in the hole then tighten the washer really tight.

14. jeffwo

jeffwo

Feb 16, 2010
    Leesburg, Virginia
    A repairman I use has a small diameter piece of metal tubing that matches the width of the straplock barrel. He sharpened the end of it and uses it like a punch, banging it with a hammer on the other end to cut a perfectly shaped hole for the straplock. He did it to my leather strap for my guitars - worked great!

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I've never had an issue.

Sure, it's a pain to get them on, but if you tuck them under, as previously mentioned, a little elbow grease will make them work just fine.

16. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks everyone for all the advice; greatly appreciated. Using a razor, I simply cut those "wings" off. I removed as little leather as possible. The washer and nut are snugged down well...nice and flat. So far, so good!

17. Hi.

I use a punch, a few $ cheapo set is more than adequate for a job like this.

Regards
    Sam

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021