Streamer Standard Output Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassicinstinct, Feb 5, 2005.

1. I am using a 2000 Warwick Streamer Standard with twin MEC passivepick-ups through a SABDDI into the passive input of an Ashdown Mag 2x10T Combo.

The problem I have is that, even if I use the SansAmp with the Level full on (bearing in mind that Tech21 suggest you run the Level at 12.00 o'clock unless you are driving a Power Amp) and with the input level on the amp full on, I can only "just" get the VU on the amp to flicker slightly. I can't get anywhere close to getting the needle to peak into the red occasionally to give me what Ashdown suggest is the "optimum input setting". The only way I can get the needle anywhere red lining is by cranking the Drive and Bass controls and then my tone deteriorates. That being the case, the signal received by the power amp stage of the Combo is obviously not nearl as hot as it should be and I'm assuming that this means I will be driving the output stage much harder than would otherwise be the case.

I have established that it is NOT a problem with the SABDDI (I have used a friends with exactly the same result). It is NOT a problem with the amp (I have tried my bass and SABDDI with other Ashdown heads and Combos - ABM and Mag - with exactly the same result). Also, I have checked with MEC on the correct output of the pickups and it would seem that they are performing exactly as designed (albeit at about 10% of the output of the passive pickups on my 40 year old Gibson!!). :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wonder whether anyone out there has experienced the same problem and what the solution might be. I'm looking at a possible pickup upgrade although I am a little nervous of this as I am VERY happy with the tone of the bass as it stands. :confused: :confused:

If I'm honest, I suppose where it not for the VU on the front of the Ashdown, I might never have realised that the output from the pickups was so low and , in that case, ignorance may have been bliss. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So, do we think this is a "problem" worth solving and if so how? Or do I just ignore the VU and carry on as I am? Is it likely that I will do the amp any harm by virtue of the fact that I am pushing the output stage harder than I should be due to the poor input level.

All help gratefully received as always. :) :)
  2. Why don't you look at getting an Active 2 band Preamp, by EMG, or Aguilar. That should increase your bass' output, and you won't be sacrificing much of the tone.
  3. I have considered that as a solution BUT I've always played passive basses (without onboard preamps too) in the past and I'm not sure that I'm not too much of a Luddite to start messing with nonboard preamps now. In any case, would what you suggest not just do exactly what I'm using the SansAmp for now? If so, I'm assuming that the output reaching the preamp stage of the Ashdown is still going to be far too low.

Or will the EMG or Aguilar give me a much hotter signal than the SansAmp? :confused: :confused:

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated. :) :)
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I had one of these and they're notorious for being an EXTREMELY quiet bass, uber low output bro. To make it worse, finding direct replacement pups for it can be a bitch. You might be better off selling it and buying something with a hotter signal, or a separate outboard preamp maybe to run into the SansAmp. That also won't require any routing of the bass which decrease resale value and cost you a buttload of money, I know from experience as I'm having my 6 string routed to fit EMG's and it's going to cost me between 100-150 bucks US. Good luck bro, those basses are great tonewise, just no output.
  5. My Rockbass Streamer has a low output also. Not quite the same bass as the German Streamer I know, but the same pickups ;)

Great tone, but low output. AFAIK It's a trait common to Streamers with the MEC passive soapbars.

I just accept it, and enjoy it as it is :D
  6. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Really frustrating because I just LOVE the tone.

I dunno - maybe an outboard pre-amp is the answer. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Anyone else have any other ideas?
  7. See the link below:

I'm led to believe that the Seymour Duncan STC 2P is the "industry standard" pickup for the Streamer Standard and that it will require no routing!! :) :)

Any thoughts? Is this true/feasible/worthwhile to sort my problem? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  8. Sorry,I meant "industry standard" PRE AMP, not pickup, obviously. :confused: :eek: :confused:

Anyone tried this preamp with this bass or similar? Will it solve my "output" problem without loss of existing tone (which I dearly love!!)?
  9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I honestly don't know what the industry standard is for these basses. Personally I'd leave it be and get an outboard pre because routing is expensive, and it's not something you can undo if you don't like it. Outboard pres can easily be resold and offer a wide variety of tones. Just my 2 cents bro, do what you feel is best for you.
  10. Appreciate that and I do know where you're coming from.

What confuses the issue a little is that I'm surely already using an outboard pre of sorts already (SABDDI) but the signal level hitting the preamp stage of my amp is still pitiful.

Are you saying that, if I used a Sadowsky/Aguilar/Etc pre, this would no longer be the case?

Sorry if I'm being dense here!! :confused: :confused:
  11. Also, I noticed from your profile that you used a Streamer Standard 5 at one point.

Did you find the same problem and how did you solve it? I'm assuming (always dangerous :) ) that you are going to say with an outboard pre, which takes me back to the question re SABDDI in my last post.

Why is nothing ever easy?? :eek:
  12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Life's never easy bro, that's what makes it fun hahaha! I actually never solved the issue with mine, it was quiet but I didn't care because I'd up the gain and use more master volume. I sold mine when it didn't produce the range of tones I (thought) I needed, now I want it back because I know how awesome it was! I don't truthfully know if a preamp pedal other than your SansAmp will do what you need, I've never used or needed one before. how do you have your settings on your amp and SansAmp pedal? It could be you've already got the right stuff but just aren't setting it all up right... I've done that before.
  13. Amen to all of that!! :D :D

I'm determined not to let the Streamer go as I'm sure I'd end up regretting it too. Let's not dwell on that eh? :(

I have the SansAmp set up as follows:

Level: Anything between 12 and 5 o'clock
    Blend: Between 12 and 3 o'clock
    Treble: 11 o'clock
    Bass: 1 o'clock
    Drive: 12 o'clock
    Presence: 12 o'clock

My amp settings tend to be:

Input Level: Flat Out :meh: :meh:

Slight boost on Bass.

Lower Mid and Mid at 12 o'clock

Slight Boost Upper Mid

Treble at 12 o'clock

Ouput: As loud as it needs to be ;) ;)

I think I said somewhere earlier that I had tried messing about with the Drive level but, although this certainly got me a hotter signal, it also got some mega-hiss and overdrive too :eek:

Anything jump out at you?
  14. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    No... that all looks allright to me... have you tried cranking the presence on the pedal a little more? That may give you some more juice maybe.... I'm stumped, it sounds to me like you've got a good setup going. I use more EQ than you do... maybe try some more adventurous EQ settings. I'm not sure where to go here... have you tried emailing Warwick?
  15. Yes. I emailed Warwick AND MEC.

MEC never replied at all.

Warwick replied promptly and confirmed that the reading my buddy was getting on his multimeter was showing the correct resistance for the pick ups and so, as far as they were concerned, there was no problem.

what "adventurous EQ" had you in mind?? :D :D :D