String choice for Lakland 44-60 jazz bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassBlue, Jul 24, 2020.

1. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I spent literally all afternoon digging through posts trying to find a thread about this and here we are.

I'm about to get a Lakland 44-60 jazz bass and was wondering if any Lakland owners can help me pick some good string for it. I think bass will be strung with the Lakland SS. I'll give it a shot but I'm more of a round nickel guy (my 77 P bass wears TIs).

Any ideas on what sounds good on these basses?

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

My favorite strings on a Jazz are Dunlop Super Bright Nickels. Nice and crunchy with great low tension. DR Pure Blues and SIT Foundation are also sets I like a lot.

jmattbassplaya and tindrum like this.
  3. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Nickel on Jazz? Ernie Ball, Galli, Sansone, Mark Bass.

If you like old tones when not new for me unbeatable Rotosound RS-66 Light Gauge (for diminish roughness)

trothwell likes this.
  4. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    How about DR Sunbeams? I have Dunlops and might try them at the beginning. Good idea!

5. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Sunbeams are great too! They have a little less growl than the others I listed but that's just personal preference.

BassBlue likes this.
  6. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Sunbeams good and very light. More long lasting than some others.

BassBlue likes this.
  7. If you have TI's on your P-bass, can we assume you like something fairly flexible and supple feeling on your J-bass as well? If so, Dunlop Super Bright Nickels and DR Sunbeams, mentioned above, are both good options. You might want to consider DR Pure Blues as well.

One Way and BassBlue like this.
  8. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Or many others....I suggest to try and to try than extabilize one kind and one brand forever...

BassBlue likes this.
  9. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    michael_t,

I'm using GHS (your favorite brand I think?) Steels right now and my fingers are hurting. Lol. Have not played SS forever. Which of the two you recommended would be with a little bit less tension than GHS Steels (LAKLAND SS)? I am ready to put some nickels! I know, I know... And I'm not a wuss!

I got both Dunlops and DRs in my drawer.

10. Comparing similar gauges, both the DR Sunbeams and Dunlop Super Brights are noticeably looser-feeling than the GHS Super Steels. So, it would be your personal choice between the two.

11. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    For me on a Jazz Rotosound RS 66 are good.

12. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I tried DR Hi Beams (ok but rough on my fingers and couldn't stand the string noise), LoRiders (didn't like the stiffness), Sunbeams (nice and warm but too polite) and settled down on ... Pure Blues. Damn! These on my 44-60 and the deep switch engaged on Mesa TT-800, and I was in heaven! Could not put the bass down. I think, unless these aren't going to sound good in the mix, I got no reason to swap them for anything else, for now.

13. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    My DR PureBlues set died quickly :( Less then a month? Is that normal for every other day playing?

I ghad liked DR Sunbeams I had before, but thought they were too mellow. I need a little bit of more kick to it but no zingyness. I was thinking of trying D'Addario NYXLs 45-105 on this bass. Any feedback on this pair? I used them before on the Fender Jazz I had and I liked them. Not sure what to expect from this Lakland?

14. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I ended trying XL from D'Addario by a recommendation of one of the TBers. Simply, not surprised this string set is considered one of the best sellers. I am kind of embarrassed to say this is the first time I tried these XLs, ever. They sound so good on my Lakland. I am sure there are other brands that would sound good too but so far I am impressed. Hope they don't die as quickly as DR PBs.

15. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Since then, I have exclusively been using Sunbeams. Safe bet on Jazz. I got string GAS :) and got myself a set of TI JF344, to arrive on Tuesday. While I'm a bit OCD and hate silks, I can't wait to put these on my Lakland 44-60. To be continued...

I hope this will be a good change and I have couple of sets of Sunbeams in hand, just in case

16. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    TI's are set to arrive today, as opposed to tomorrow as initially scheduled. So excited about it! How long does it take for them to "stabilize" once they are put on?

17. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Ti were a good choice for flexible and hopefully they last. The other thing that might work for you if you want more brightness would be Marcus Miller super brights by Dunlop. I've heard that ti strings really hold up well though so you should be good for a while. SIT foundations might work for you down the road. I'll try them at some point since I've tried Dunlop a few times and never had a bad string.

BassBlue likes this.
  18. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    The strings arrived!

16442851026588454734237168471635.jpg

19. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    TI's JF344 installed. First thoughts (am not that good at describing sound):

First of all. Very solid strings and nice midrange forward sounds coming out of the bass. Really pleased and quite suprised. I was expecting somewhat hollow type of sound out of them at first. I got solid, midrange tones and nothing like the flats I had imagined, listened to via headphones on YouTube.

To be honest, I had had Chromes on my old Fender Precision in the past, but they sounded not even close to this Jazz/TI combo.

Now, after over an hour long playing session at living room volume levels, my finger tips are now sore. Weird, as I don't have that issue with any type of nickel strings, even when brand new.

Question:

They are somewhat sticky. Will that go away? I wonder if that contributed to the sore fingertips. Not a big deal as I am sure this will go away eventually.

I will use them at tomorrow's rehearsal in part band setting. Hoping to still really like them then. I read they sit really well in the mix.

20. BassBlue

BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Nobody?