1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Confusion

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kjpollo, Nov 3, 2013.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    OK Gents,

I'm sorta confused and I guess this is place to go???
    I have 3 5 string basses and all of them need string changes. One is a 35" scale (Lakland 55-01) and the other 2 are 34's (Carvin LB 75 and G&L L2500).

After rummaging through my box of miscellaneous parts and stuff, I have 3 different unopened sets on hand and I'm trying to figure out which set will work best on each bass.
    The sets are: D'Addario XL Nickel Wounds .45-130; Dean Markely Blue Steels .45-128 and DR Lo-Riders in stainless .45-125.

I was thinking about using the Lo Riders on the Lakland, the Markely's on the G&L and the D'Addario's on the Carvin.

I play modern country and almost entirely fingerstyle.
    I know there are all kinds of schools of thought on the gauge of the B string versus scale length and I want to see what kind of feedback I get.

Look forward to the replies!

2. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    L2500 gets the nickel wounds, Lakland gets the LoRiders and the Carvin gets the Blue Steels.

3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    The LoRiders are for the 35" Lakland, because of the tension. I don't know the Carvin basses, so I can't tell. I've got a G&L L-2000 myself and I know it's sounding quite bright by itself, so it would make sense to install the Nickel wounds on the G&L.