1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string delimma/help? (SIT Users)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Apr 26, 2009.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I did a search and found that the consenses on strings for a Stingray was to go with a set of Slinkys. I think slinkys are good strings, however, I don't really like the gauges they offer.

I would like a Nickel/Nickel plated with a .45-.125 string set.

I've tried the newer Dunlop strings and I liked them, but the tension was fairly low, so they were too clanky for me. I've thought about some Dr's but I really don't wanna pay that much a set.

I was thinking about going with SIT powerwounds. Has anyone used them on a Stingray or a similar sounding 5 string bass? I can get them pretty cheap and they have the string gauges that I like. Also, what is the tension like?

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Not a stringray but a Fender deluxe V i used to play in my old rock bands. the powerwounds are great strings very bright and last...go for it.

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    thanks for the response friend! how long did it take the powerwounds to "settle" and lose that initial new string zing?

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Not too long but i cant recall. I wanted the zing then for the kind of music i did. SITs last long and are priced well...great CS at SIT also.