1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

string gauge? do i need to set up my bass again?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ruski, Jun 27, 2012.

1. ruski

ruski

Mar 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    I recently got my bass setup with some EB regular slinkies (.050, .070, .085, .105) but found the strings went dead after a few weeks and the tension in the E string when dropped to D was really floppy. So was thinking of getting custom set online. Thinking some DR steel strings (.045, .065, .085, .110). Will I need to set up my bass again to get these strings gauges to fit?

Also is there any tonal difference between DR drop tune strings and lo-riders? was thinking of getting a DR drop tune E string and the rest lo-riders seeing as the only string I ever drop tune is the E. Thanks

2. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    The best way I can answer question is with a big.... maybe! U may or may not have to adjust but in reality, a.110 tuned down to D is probably close to a .105 tuned to E as far as tension goes. I'm not a DR fanboy but it seems to me, DDT are just heavier gauge strings designed to be detuned down from standard.

3. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    You should be ok. String it up and play it.

4. ruski

ruski

Mar 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    First DDT set I used was regular gauge. Kept its tension really well in d. I was just hoping to get .110 to get a little thicker, meatier tone

5. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    String the shovel up and see how it plays. It may need a slight adjustment.

Here's a great set of how-to videos on how to set up your bass properly:

^That's step 1 of 4 - just follow the links on the page for the rest of the videos.

*Disclaimer* If you don't feel comfortable working on your instrument or do not have any mechanical aptitude you should have a professional do the work for you. But it is good to know how to set up your own instrument. You can tweek it to get it just right for you and save lots of money. Just be very, very careful with the truss rod. A little twist goes a long way; don't ever force it; and adjust it a little at a time - we're talking like a 16th of a turn at a time. Same thing with the nut - you can always shave a little more off but you can't put any back on!

Good luck!

6. Going from a 105 to a 110 gauge set will likely cause a slight change in your bass. To state definitely what changes, you would need to carefully measure all the important areas such as action, relief, nut slots, etc. Only by doing a careful before/after comparison, and (of course) playing the newly-strung bass, can you determine if the bass has changed significantly enough to warrant a set up.

I can tell you on some of my basses it would be quite noticeable. On others, not so much. But I'm very picky and would surely have to tweak something on all of my basses.