string mutes/dampeners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Winklin, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Winklin

Jan 15, 2005
    Anybody know of anyone making string mutes for basses? This would be for a Fender style bass, and I realize a piece of foam or something could be used as a makeshift, but thought I'd see if there was something on the market anyone knew of. Nothing at Stewmac or Allparts....
    Any advise welcome. Thanks!
  2. ...(I'm assuming Winklin is a guy's username-) I hate when no one responds to my post; I feel for you. Seriously, I think Fodera had something like this some time ago. For some reason I'm also thinking Bassalone in San Diego might know something.
  3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    If you mean up by the nut, as for tapping, I just made one. I used an elastic guitar capo, took the part that presses to strings off, as well as removed a thing that rested on the edge of the fret board, and replaced it with rolled up felt. With a little fiddling, it works great -- better than velcro (a la Chapman Stick) or drawer liner (a la Megatar) or hair ties (a la Victor Wooten), at least in my experience.
  4. Winklin

Jan 15, 2005
    Blister, that's a big help, thanks. I figured something like that HAD to be out there somewhere. Much obliged.