1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Spacing at bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by svirfnebli, Oct 15, 2009.

1. svirfnebli

svirfnebli

Mar 16, 2008
    Hey all,

Im not much of a bass player, but I do build a mean guitar. Im working on a line of basses and intend to make my own proprietary bridge. I've got the rough design down, but i've come to a question that im unsure of and would love the advise of TB memebers...

What can people tell me about the string spacing at the bridge on a four string? Are there standard numbers that people like? Are different spacings suited to different styles? If you can include any measuresments (metric or imperial) that would help..

Help a brother out! :>

2. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Santa Cruz Ca
    varies by player 17.5mm -19mm and-- Check other manufacturers specs.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    19mm for 4 string bass probably covers about 90% of the basses out there. I'd suggest looking into the design of the Schaller 4-String Roller Bridge as an example of a great bridge that allows a lot of flexibility.