String suggestions for Epiphone Voila bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dhudson, Mar 22, 2021.

1. dhudson

dhudson

Jan 9, 2012
    Looking for string suggestions for Epiphone Viola bass (short scale). This is a new style bass for me - I have a double bass and electric upright. I mainly play bluegrass, and want the Epiphone to be able to fit within that genre. But I'm also looking to learn some rock, etc. Thanks.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What do you like or not like about the strings currently on the bass?

3. dhudson

dhudson

Jan 9, 2012
    Sorry, I probably didn't give the best scenario. I just purchased the Epiphone - used. It has tapewound strings that are at the point of needing replacement.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What do you like or not like about them?

5. dhudson

dhudson

Jan 9, 2012
    1. They're about worn out. 2. Not sure I like the tapewound style.

6. I have no specific recommendations...yet.

One thing I wanted to mention is this particular bass is "short scale", but the chances are most "short scale" strings will be too short due to the bridge design. Just to make sure, can you measure the E string from where the ball end is seated to where it just clears the nut? That would be the minimum "winding length" you would need.

7. dhudson

dhudson

Jan 9, 2012
    Not near the bass right now, but will post later. Thanks.

8. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    I think the Viola bass is like a Hofner in that short scale is too short given the tailpiece. I never remembered buying short scale strings when I owned one years ago.

I always put round wound on mine, and I liked it. Flats get so thuddy on an already thuddy bass like the Viola.

dhudson likes this.
  9. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    Mine wears a set of well broken in medium scale Chromes. It can do the classic 60’s thump and punchy 70’s punk with ease. I couldn’t image restringing it with anything else.

Plectrum72, packhowitzer, MCF and 2 others like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    If tape wound strings aren’t your thing you might like La Bella DTF strings. Great classic tone, really rich lows. I like TI flats but they are a little more lively in my opinion. Too many options! Do you like really stiff, medium or soft tension? You said “floppy” so not light tension. Are you looking for that thud tone from 50s/60s or thereabouts?

Mannyinnewyork likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    What @blacktocomm said. Thumpy, deep with good mids and kinda on the higher end of stiffness and a really good value - D’Addario Chromes. Don’t panic, they are pretty bright first few days or so but they settle in after several hours of playing.

12. Dominic D

Dominic D DiCosimo Audio Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Winter Park, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    I like La Bella flats on violin basses.

Freez, Ekulati, Babydave and 3 others like this.
  13. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I have Labella Flats on my Hofner Club bass and I really like them.

14. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    La Bella Beatle bass strings

Freez, Ekulati, BarfanyShart and 3 others like this.
  15. dhudson

dhudson

Jan 9, 2012
    About 33 1/4 inches.

16. "Medium Scale" by D'Addario, La Bella, Dunlop = 34" winding length (ball end to silk/taper). Includes the La Bella Beatle set.
    "Short Scale" by DR = 33.75" winding.
    "Medium Scale" by GHS = 35.5" winding.
    "Short Scale" by TI = 35.5" winding.

Etc...

dhudson likes this.
  17. JRT64

JRT64

Jul 13, 2020
    I use medium scale Dunlop flats on my 2 Hofner basses and I love them. I have Chromes on my Brice violin bass, which is closer to the Viola, and they do great as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either. LaBella's will work too, but I don't like them as well on the violin basses as I do the Dunlops and the Chromes.

dhudson likes this.
  18. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

This X 10!

Ekulati, BarfanyShart and oldandbold like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I’m assuming your bass is stock like mine is.

I’ve used TIs and GHS Pressurewounds on my Epi Viola bass. Both worked really well. But I ended up preferring the Pressurewounds. I thought they provided a more interesting range of tones on that bass.

I’ve used my Epi for rock and pop. I even took it to a blues jam. It did well for all of those.

I’m contemplating trying some tapewounds on it eventually, assuming I can find a short scale set I actually like. My preferred tapewounds (ok, more like the only tapewounds I’d give you a nickel for) are Labella 750C Copper White Nylons. But they’re only available in long scale. So I haven’t done much on that front yet.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  20. How did you get the GHS PWs to fit on that bass? According to the OP, the minimum winding length needed is 33.25", and the GHS "short scale" is only 32.75" in winding length. Or, are you talking about when the PW were available in "medium scale"?