Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stringing my Artcore

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by r05c03, Dec 25, 2005.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    So I picked up a nice set of Rotosound Black Nylons and stung them onto my Ibanez Artcore. I notice that the wrapping on the D string is below the nut. It does not appear to affect the sound, but as a matter of looks I'd like the wrapping to be above the nut. Is there any way that I can do this without screwing up the wrapping. I have already tried to 'roll' it up the string. Thanks.

2. Take off the D, chop it down, and restring it.

3. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    What do you mean by chopping down? The string was clipped to an appropriate length before winding.

4. Wouldn't hurt to take a little more off, would it?

AFAIK, the wrapping is not supposed to go past the nut.

5. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, so I don't know I trimmed off about an inch and restrung and it dio not seem improve the position of the wrapping. The strings should be long enough for the bass (Rotosound 88LD, Nylon Tapewound). I am not a newb at this, but I have never experienced the problem. Any other suggestions / insights.

6. How is cutting the string from the top going to make less silk go past the nut? You still need the same amount of string from bridge to nut; cutting past that is only going to reduce the number of wraps around the post...

7. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    yeah, my initial though too, and born out in my attempt

8. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Could a Mod perhaps move this thread to Set-up and Repair?