Stringjoy Strings!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Aug 17, 2018.

1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    FB483619-3FA9-43AE-88F2-6E46E83D7110.jpeg

Stringjoy Guitar Strings | Custom Guitar Strings & Bass Strings

They’ve been around for a few years, but I’ve only recently ran into them on Facebook. Tried a set and have to say they are really nice. Just ordered another set to try on my Alien Audio 5, the first set went on my EBMM Stingray Special 5. Really nice balanced feel and tone across the fretboard. Nice little touches like a hand signed “thank you” note, so if they put the “love” into a note, they put the love in making each string. Here’s a video on how they makes the strings, kinda cool. Two thumbs up!

2. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Cedar Park, TX
    Just had a guitar-playing friend tell me about these. Went to their site to take a look. I was happily surprised to see that their custom gauge prices were the same as the regular prices. I'm going to order a set and see how I like them.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I am tempted to order a custom set for my 26" scale basses. Just afraid of cutting them and having them explode on me. The price is right for a custom string.

4. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    They do custom lengths?

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Not really, but they sell electric guitar strings up to 90. Was thinking of a 90 to 45 set, hoping the lengths might be ok.

6. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    too bad they don't have any steel strings. Nickle hurts my fingers

7. I've just taken a punt and ordered a set of StringJoy 45-130s. Be interesting to see how they go.

RichSnyder likes this.
  8. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    I tried a 6 string set. Can't say I was impressed. Tone wasn't bad, but the feel was just off IMO. Had to be raised off the fretboard to avoid some buzz, though a lot of that was probably the cold front affecting the intonation. I will be switching to some DR low riders or NYXLs.

9. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    My extended review - I liked the strings a lot, but my B string died quickly. I’m going back to Valenti string for my fivers.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  10. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I just tried them. I've never really been a fan of round wounds, but thought I give them a try. I really liked them a lot. They seemed to bring out a sound from my bass (BC Rich Eagle with EMG's) that I really like. I got the light gauge (40-60-80-100) and found the D and G to be a little bit weaker than the E and A. I contacted the company and asked about a custom set. He suggested 50-65-80-100. I order a set and yea, that was the ticket. The price isn't all the much. I'd been using TI's for years... so I guess my tolerance for a price point was a bit altered. If they last as long as the Ken Smith's I've been using lately, they've got a new customer.

11. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I like nickel wound. Usually, I use DR Sunbeams. I like them a lot.
    But I gave in. I also wanted to try a lighter gauge. So I got 45-100.

Just now installed them and they sound nice out of the package.

I also put a set of 11s on my guitar. Sound very nice.

12. patzilla83

patzilla83 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Pflugerville, TX
    I also switched from sunbeams. I’m not a rounds person at all, especially brand new. I think the sunbeams were at least 3 years old. The SJ’s sound kind of broken-in right out of the package which I like a lot, but also they seem to have a much more focused fundamental. I got the medium 50-105 set and they’re installed on a ‘75 pbass tuned half a step down.

The acoustic guitar strings are also very nice.

13. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA, Earth
    Just strung this set on my Ricky. Happy that I can order the spec gauges. So far I love them! Bright, punchy and smooth.

50076FEB-826C-489D-BD89-09794B3816CD.jpeg

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021