Strings click on fret when playing - need advice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rumble On, May 29, 2018.

1. Rumble On

Rumble On

May 29, 2018
    Croatia
    Update: :banghead:

Alright, I feel very stupid about not thinking about trying this before, but today I tried to play with my amp in my room and me standing in the hallway and record it. After listening to it, I could barely hear the clicks. Because of a cranky grandma living with me, I always played either very quietly or using headphones and I always heard clicking, but if I turn the volume up my problem almost disappears and those very faint clacks I'll put down to my inexperience. I really feel quite dumb for all you nice people trying to help when the problem was just in me not exploring it well enough.

I was so surprised by the quick and numerous responses I recieved, TB really seems to be a great site! I can't answer all of them, but thank you very very much for all your advice, it is very useful. I'll try out your tips about technique and I'll get my bass professionally set up as soon as I can, it can't hurt.

Again, thanks so much for all the answers and I'll be sure to thoroughly check out whether I do really have a problem before I post next time. :D Rock on!

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Don't worry, it's a legit issue even if, as you found out, it's not as dramatic as you thought. About the setup, I would suggest trying to do your own setups. The internet is full of articles and videos on how to do that. I've never been 100% happy with professional setups, because they never get the action exactly where I prefer it. You'll save money, learn your instrument better in the process and eventually master how to setup your bass exactly how you like it.

Loring likes this.
  3. Rumble On

Rumble On

May 29, 2018
    Croatia
    Thank you, I'll try to set it up by myself then. Should be a cool new experience.

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Is an ego waffle what lead singers eat? I'm pretty sure bassists eat humble pie.

Loring and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Double helping

Loring likes this.
  6. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    And the drummers get given confinement loaf...

CameronJohnson likes this.
  7. Bioflava

Bioflava Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2016
    First, welcome, glad we could help! Secondly, yup that's TB in a nutshell -- lot's of great resources and people on here... And don't worry if this thread becomes 82 pages of digressions on setup and techniques, that's all part of the magic/madness :)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Spidey2112 and Rumble On like this.
  8. That genuinely made me laugh out load at my desk. A feat rarely achieved. Well done, sir.

Loring and SteveCS like this.
  9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Thanks, but I believe the real credit goes to Messrs Hoover and Zappa...

CameronJohnson and Bioflava like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021